- A hub contains multiple ports. When a packet arrives at one port, it is copied to the other ports so that all segments of the LAN can see all packets.
- Cheap to purchase and install
- Problem – All devices on the network share the same bandwidth
- Will look at traffic it receives and based on the destination address it will direct the traffic to the port.
- Devices don’t share the same bandwidth. The network will not be slowed down.
- Packet is delivered to address port. Problem – Require additional set-up and expensive to purchase.