The Fetch Execute cycle (Memory read instruction)
- The memory address of the next instruction is placed on the address bus
- A read signal is activated on the read line
- The data stored at the memory address is placed on the data bus
- The processor interprets the instruction
- The processor executes the instruction
The Fetch Execute cycle (Memory write instruction)
- The required memory address is put in the Memory Address Register
- The value to be written is put into the Memory Data Register
- The control unit activates the Write Line.
- The contents of the Memory Data Register are transferred by the data bus to the required memory address.