Every child and young person in Scotland is entitled to experience a broad general education. This broad general education takes place from the early years to the end of S3 and is represented by learning across all of the experiences and outcomes.
Learning in the social studies will enable me to:
· develop my understanding of the history, heritage and culture of Scotland, and an appreciation of my local and national heritage within the world
· broaden my understanding of the world by learning about human activities and achievements in the past and present
· develop my understanding of my own values, beliefs and cultures and those of others
· develop my understanding of the principles of democracy and citizenship through experience of critical and independent thinking
· explore and evaluate different types of sources and evidence
· learn how to locate, explore and link periods, people and events in time and place
· learn how to locate, explore and link features and places locally and further afield
· engage in activities which encourage enterprising attitudes
· develop an understanding of concepts that stimulate enterprise and influence business
. establish firm foundations for lifelong learning and for further specialised study and careers.