Castlehill Primary & Nursery Blog

Modern Languages

A broad general education
Every child and young person in Scotland is entitled to experience a broad general education. This broad general education takes place from the early years to the end of S3 and is represented by learning across all of the experiences and outcomes.

french

Modern languages Experiences and outcomes

Learning a new language encourages children and young people to broaden their horizons as they explore the language and its associated culture.
Through my learning of a new language:
• I gain a deeper understanding of my first language and appreciate the richness and interconnected nature of languages
• I enhance my understanding and enjoyment of other cultures and of my own and gain insights into other ways of thinking and other views of the world
• I develop skills that I can use and enjoy in work and leisure throughout my life.
The study of language plays an important role in all language learning and the development of literacy skills. I develop and extend my literacy skills when I have opportunities to:
• communicate, collaborate and build relationships
• reflect on and explain my literacy and thinking skills, using feedback to help me improve and sensitively provide useful feedback for others
• engage with and create a wide range of texts in different media, taking advantage of the opportunities offered by ICT
• develop my understanding of what is special, vibrant and valuable about my own and other cultures and their languages
• explore the richness and diversity of language, how it can affect me and the wide range of ways in which I and others can be creative
• extend and enrich my vocabulary through listening, talking, watching and reading.