Leader in Me

“We only get one chance to prepare our students for a future that none of us can possibly predict. What are we going to do with that one chance? ” Stephen Covey

Leader in Me

At Corsehill we believe that every child possesses leadership skills and we can support them in developing these skills and abilities as they will be essential as they move forward  in their lives and careers.  The Leader in Me program helps us to structure the development of leadership skills for all pupils by teaching 7 important habits.  We incorporate character and collaborative education as we believe that it will have a positive impact on student achievement and supports the development of a growth mindset.

The 7 Habits of Happy Kids

Be Proactive – I have a “Can Do” attitude. I choose my actions, attitudes and moods. I don’t blame others. I do the right thing without being asked, even if nobody is looking.

Begin with the End in Mind – I plan ahead and set goals. I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom. I look for ways to be a good citizen.

Put First Things First – I spend my time on things that are most important. This means I say no to things I should not do. I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am organised.

Think Win-Win – I want everyone to be a success. I don’t have to put others down to get what I want. It makes me happy to see other people happy. I like to do nice things for others. When a conflict arrives, I help brainstorm a solution. We all can win!

Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood – I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas.

Synergise – I value other people’s strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others, even people who are different from me. I work well in groups. I seek out other people’s ideas to solve problems. I know that “two heads are better than one”. I am a better person when I let other people into my life and work.

Sharpen the Saw – I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places.

Leader in Me in Action

We have enjoyed working together in house groups to develop these habits over the past two sessions, we have held assemblies and taken part in challenges, even inviting our families in to share our learning and development!