A big thank you to North Ayrshire Youth Bank who have recently granted us the sum of £982.46 in order to purchase both new litter bins and recycling bins for our school. The committee filled in a grant application form (which had to be done with the least amount of adult help possible) and Erin (grants advisor) sent it away for approval. The new bins will be in place soon, and the evidence will be uploaded.
Sophie Gribben, Robyn Gurney, Rhanna Guilfoyle, Conor Monaghan, Curtis Kerr, Kalle Smith, Marie Ann Wales, Claire Monaghan, Rachael Waddell, Erin Wigton, Morgan Cooper and Ryan Byrne
We recieved the news that we had acheived our bronze award, ad we got a photo with our certificate.
We agreed to undertake a new environmental review and discussed methods to get more of the school involved. We have a very big school, so we may select a focus group of pupils outside the eco-committee to help us with our environmental review. From this we will agree on our action plan. We are unsure whether to involve a focus group in this too.
Wishing everybody on the Committee a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 8th January at Lunchtime.
We’ve done it! Ardrossan Academy now has their bronze Eco-Schools award. Thank you to everyone who has helped out so far and to all the committee members and Mrs Crawford, without you this couldn’t have happened (literally!). Next stage, Silver!
Mrs Crawford, Sophie Gribben, Robyn Gurney, Rhanna Guilfoyle, Conor Monaghan, Curtis Kerr, Kalle Smith, Marie Ann Wales, Claire Monaghan, Rachael Waddell, Erin Wigton, Morgan Cooper and Ryan Byrne
Everyone introduced themselves to the committee in turns, allowing us to get to know the new members. Explanation of what we have already achieved was given by older members and due to small numbers, we have decided to not split the committee into year groups.
Cycle Friendly School
A quick talk was given by The head of the PE department to discuss a possible collaboration to become a cycle friendly secondary school. We feel this could also tie into our action plan under sustaining our world. This is only an idea, and it is not guaranteed that we will take part in the scheme.
Morgan and Ryan have agreed to run spectacle recycling in the school. This will be put in the action plan under waste minimisation. Claire is in charge of rag bag collection and Mrs Macpherson is willing to help and give advice. Progess of both of these actions will be put up on the blog.
The next meeting will be on Thursday 30th October at Lunchtime.
Hello! This blog has been set up to inform you of the exciting developments that are happening at Ardrossan Academy in regards to eco at at the moment.
We have almost achieved our Bronze award, and we would like to share what we have done in the past few months.
Below I have listed the criteria we have to meet in order to her our bronze award:
- A mixed group of pupils and adults meet to discuss environmental action for the school
- The group meets a minimum of once a term
- Notes are kept of meetings
- Results of group discussions and action to be undertaken are communicated to the rest of the school.
- An informal environmental review of the school is carried out
- Results of the review are discussed by the environment group
- Following the review, some activities are planned that will change and improve the environmental performance of the school.
- The environmental group decides on some action for the school based on the informal review
- Responsibility for taking forward action is agreed
Monitoring and Evaluation
- The environment group makes a note of progress towards targets
- The group discusses success or otherwise of the action being undertaken.
Linking to the curriculum
- Environmental issues are covered as part of curriculum work in most year groups across a range of subjects
Involving the wider community
- The environmental group has a school notice board which gives details of environmental activities being carried out
- The school lets parents know of action being undertaken in some way
- The wider school community learns of the environmental activity going on in the school
- There is an agreement on some environmental statements for the school drawn up by the environmental group and agreed by the whole school
We are so close to completing all of these targets and if you would like to help, the eco committee are having a Whole school meeting on the 23rd of October at Lunch time so feel free to come along!