Refugee Week 2020

This Refugee Week I would like you to take a break from our current topic to think about the movement of people (a key concept in Geography).  Please read the following information, watch the short animation then attempt the 4 questions.  Good Luck.

The Language of Migration  – It is so important that we use the correct language when discussing the movement of people.

Think about:

• Are you surprised by any of these definitions? 
  • Are you surprised by any of the figures?
  • Do you think the coverage & tone of migration in the UK media reflects reality?

I hope that all of you become voluntary migrants in the future (seeing the world is an amazing privilege).  You might travel far and settle somewhere new or return to Moray!

I sincerely hope that none of us fall into the other 3 categories.  But remember, these terms refer to people who live around us in Scotland.  I ask that you build empathy and understanding for all migrants in our community.

TASK:  Watch the short animation “What you know about Patience”

https://vimeo.com/337332583

Imagine you became a refugee, seeking shelter and safety in another country, separated from friends and family members.

1. What would scare you about being in a new country?
  2. What would you hope to receive from the country you fled to?
  3. Based on these answers, how do you think we should be treating refugees to the UK?
  4. If you could do one thing for a refugee, what would it be?

Send me your answers to these questions by the end of the week.  You could:

• write your responses & send a photo via SMHW,
  • type them up & attach them to a SMHW message,
  • try something more original – a cartoon strip, a campaign poster, a video clip

You decide!  But remember to have a conversation at home about Refugee Week too

Information & news from Speyside High School, Aberlour, Moray