Soon, we begin our Beekeeping journey at KGS and have some beesuits, tools and beehives ready for use. (Our new bees are on standby and ready to move in.) What we still need to find is a suitable place to site our apiary outwith the school ground. Can you please help?
Below is a wish list of what we are looking for, but realistically, we know we may not achieve all of them.
We are looking for a place :
- Where the morning sun (even in Winter) will be on the hive entrances.
- That is not too shaded by Trees, although some trees nearby are fine.
- That is not too damp, although, ideally with a water supply not too far away.
- That is not too exposed/sheltered from strong winds.
- That is (ideally) within walking distance of the school, or within a short distance by minibus.
- With room (if possible) to park a vehicle not too far from the beehives to transport hives and equipment.
- That is relatively flat to accommodate up to 5 school children and two teachers (only about 1 or 2 visits each week in summer, less often in Winter).
- Not too close to commonly visited areas (i.e. discretely tucked away).
If you can tick off just a few points on this criteria, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief description of your proposed site.
Mrs Allan (PT of Digital Learning)