Carroll Diagrams – Leaf Keys

We used Carroll diagrams to sort 4 leaves into different categories. We then used the diagrams to help us write 2-step keys.  We had previously explored this idea using an alien_classification_key. We used ‘Nature Detective’ tree identification wheels to name the different species.

The children worked well in their trios to find four different leaves and most used categories such as big/ small, dark / light or ‘made of lots of little leaves / one big leaf’. At the end we toured each group and I challenged children to use the keys to name a leaf. We discussed whether or not ‘big / small’ and ‘dark/light’ would always work – I found huge and tiny leaves on the same tree etc. I then asked the children to think of other categories that they could use and we came up with spiky, toothed and shiny/ dull.

A successful lesson. It was definitely worth waiting until we could visit a larger woods with a good diversity of trees. We had  spent time using the ID wheels, in these woods, before the holidays.

P1050278

P1050279