Getting it right for every child (GIRFEC) supports families by making sure children and young people can receive the right help, at the right time, from the right people. The aim is to help them to grow up feeling loved, safe and respected so that they can realise their full potential.
Most children and young people get all the help and support they need from their parent(s), wider family and community but sometimes, perhaps unexpectedly, they may need a bit of extra help.
GIRFEC is a way for families to work in partnership with people who can support them, such as teachers, doctors and nurses.
At Newark Primary we:
- base GIRFEC principles and values on children’s rights
- promote eight factors that matter when talking about a child or young person’s wellbeing (SHANARRI)
- are improving the support for families by providing a clear point of contact for each child or young person
The Named Person for our school is Mrs McGugan
- plan, deliver and co-ordinate support for children who require additional support in school through regular GIRFEC Team Around the Child meetings with all the professionals, parents and child’s voice included
- provide support resources for practitioners working with children, the young people themselves and parents