Chatroom

Use this area to request equipment or resources from other schools in our cluster.

22 thoughts on “Chatroom”

1. Just an update on the Electricity box.

Lady Alice have it until the 3rd November when it is going to Inverkip for a Parent Workshop and is then going to Whinhill,

2. Each cluster school has ordered resources from the Edina Trust funding. Should you need resources – let us know? The following schools have:
    Aileymill: Microscopes/slides
    Inverkip: Lightbox
    Whinhill: Magnets
    Lady Alice: Renewable energy resources

3. Morning guys

Just to say I have found a useful website for resources etc for science outcome SCN 1-13a ‘I know the symptoms of some common diseases caused by germs. I can explain how they are spread and discuss how some methods of preventing and treating disease benefit society.’

May not be everyone’s cup of tea but worth a look as some fun activities for children to take part in both at home and at school.

http://www.henrythehand.com/

4. Have made model volcanoes with primary 7 out of dough with a plastic bottle inside. Was wondering if anybody knew a better way of exploding ‘lava’ other than baking soda, food colouring and vinegar to produce a bigger and better eruption?

1. I normally use the baking soda/vinegar method. Have you tried using a mentos sweet and some coke – that works well too.

5. I am currently in the process of restocking our dissolving kit in school. Apart from the usual sugar/salt/coffee/flour etc can anyone give any other suggestions as to what I can put in there for the children to investigate?

1. Jelly is a good one for dissolving and trying to decide if it is retrievable. Try to get the crystals rather than the block. Sand is good too but you probably counted that in your etc!

6. Much excitement in P7 about Tim Peake going to the ISS tomorrow. I am looking forward to the questions it is likely to throw out to us! Hopefully our tech won’t let us down and we’ll get to watch it live from the classroom!

7. It’s a super exciting time – why not post questions to each other across the cluster schools and see if the P7’s can answer each others questions??

8. Hi folks, I’m doing the book ‘Robot Rumpus’ and apart from beebots does anyone have any suggestions for activities for a very boy heavy class??? Thanks in advance : )

9. Just wondering if anyone has planned a CSI week? I’ve got a P7 class and was thinking about trying to do this later this term.

1. I haven’t personally done this but always wanted to! Might be worth asking the high school for some input. I great website is “sciencespot.net”. It’s an American site but has a full break down of activities that can be done with accompanying resources. Hope this helps.

10. Planning a Solar System block with P4. Looking at the fab science planners for what knowledge and skills should be taught but they are not, in the main, the big questions that the class want answered.

Dilemma

Do what the planner asks.

Do what the kids want.

Do a wee bit of both.

Do it all even if it turns into an epic..

1. I’d do a wee bit of both – best learning is always pupil led!! What a great time to do the Solar block as we have a CPD event coming up that may help!

11. Lady Alice P7 have just had another input form the IA science teachers – enzymes & catalysts, magic. Next week we are exploding. We cant wait!

12. Had a really great ‘Teaching Forces’ CPD workshop yesterday. Thanks to Tom Clark for his expertise and to Donna and Inverkip Primary for hosting. Plenty of great practical ideas and some enthusiastic and inspired teachers!