Science

Welcome to the Science Department.

Before we start I’d like to share with you why I believe the most wonderful subject you’ll study at school is …….SCIENCE.

Chemistry is the study of matter, its properties, how and why substances combine or separate to form other substances, and how substances interact with energy. Many people think of chemists as being white-coated scientists mixing strange liquids in a laboratory, but the truth is we are all chemists.

Physics is the scientific study of matter and  motion as well as how it interacts with energy and forces.  Physics deals with matter from sub-atomic particles (i.e. the particles that make up the atom and the particles that make up those particles) to stars and even galaxies. There are many branches of physics including electricity, astronomy, motion, waves, sound, and light.

Biology  is the science of learning about every kind of life, no matter where it is, or how big or small it is. A biologist is a person who studies life, or who studies biology.

In the first two years you will study a range of topics:  from Electricity  to Forces, from Cells to Photosynthesis and from Chemical Reactions to Acids and Alkalis.

You will learn to provide explanations, to carry out practical work and discover the application of using science in everyday life.

By the end of S2 I hope you’ll understand all these jokes, as well as having a really good idea of the Science behind them.

Two atoms were walking down the street towards Home Bargains when one of them said, “I think I lost an electron!” “Really!” the other replied, “Are you sure?” “Yes, I’m absolutely positive.”

A neutron walked into a bar and asked, “How much for a J2O?” The bartender smiled and replied, “For you, no charge.”

Question: What is the name of the first electrical detective?
Answer: Sherlock Ohms

Two sound waves were travelling to their destination when they suddenly crash into each other.

The first wave says “Hey, are you okay?

“The second wave says “Oh I’m fine, it just Hertz!”

I hope you’ll enjoy your course and love it as much as we do.

… And remember

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?”
― Albert Einstein

So you’ve got to the bottom of this post, you must be keen so here is

the Science department:

Mr Dean Abercrombie – Faculty Head of Science

Mrs Sandra McAdam – Acting PT Student Achievement

Dr Fiona Murray – Teacher of Biology 0.6

Mr Ewan Campbell – PT Guidance 0.4

Mrs Elizabeth Higgins – Teacher of Chemistry

Mrs Kirstyn Cannie – Teacher of Chemistry 0.8

Miss Lynne McKerlie – Teacher of Chemistry

Ms Mhairi Bell – Teacher of Physics

Miss Rebecca Aitken – Teacher of Physics

Mrs Carol Church – Teacher of Physics 0.6

Mr Stephen Gallagher – Temp 0.4