Advanced Higher Music is studied in S6.
The course provides a broad practical experience of performing and creating music and develops related knowledge and understanding of music.
Learners develop their skills and creative capabilities as musicians, and gain the skills they need to perform and create music and to confidently discriminate between music concepts and styles.
- Programme of music on two instruments or one instrument and voice
- Grade 5 standard performance pieces
- Combined total of an 18 minute programme performed to visiting examiner
- Broad range of musical styles, cultures and instruments studied
- Pupils will learn to understand and identify required concepts within excerpts of music
- Write a commentary comparing different pieces of music
- Written exam in May
- Pupils learn to create original music using a variety of different techniques
- Prepare a folio of compositions throughout the year
- Engage in self-reflection on their creative decision making
Excellent revision resources are available from My Music Online.