Higher Music is studied in S5 and S6.
The course provides a broad practical experience of performing and creating music and develops related knowledge and understanding of music.
Learners develop their skills and creative capabilities as musicians, and gain the skills they need to perform and create music and to confidently discriminate between music concepts and styles.
- Programme of music on two instruments or one instrument and voice
- Grade 4 standard performance pieces
- Combined total of a 12 minute programme performed to visiting examiner
- Broad range of musical styles, cultures and instruments studied
- Pupils will learn to understand and identify required concepts within excerpts of music
- Written exam in May
- Pupils learn to create original music using a variety of different techniques
- Pupils will plan and create a composition that last between 1 minute and 3 minutes 30 seconds
- Evaluate the completed composition
- This is submitted to the SQA for marking
Excellent revision resources are available from My Music Online.