Eco Beats Journey!

A few weeks ago, music tutors Mat and Rory came into the primary 7 and P7/6 classrooms to teach us all how to play an instrument and help us form and play in our very own Street Band. The purpose of this was to learn how to play an instrument and raise awareness about the very important issue of climate change.

Matt and Rory were in our school for 7 weeks, teaching us different instruments. Our Street Band had two instrument sections, the brass group and the drum group. The brass section was made up of trumpets and trombones and the drum section played a mix of snare drums, repenique, Brazilian bass drums and African djembe drums.

My instrument was a trumpet. The trumpet was gold with a silver mouth piece. At first, it was tricky but after lots of practise, I got used to it and really enjoyed playing the trumpet. I had to learn how to buzz my lips! A strange sensation when you purse your lips together and blow through them! Doing this when you play the trumpet or trombone allows you to make lots of different sounds with your instrument.

Learning to play the trumpet!

Mat and Rory taught us to play the song ‘Enough is Enough’ and they taught the P7/6 class how to play ‘Monster’ by band, The Automatics. The lyrics to this had been adjusted to spread the message of climate change. When we finished learning our own piece of music, we then swapped and learned the other class’ music. I found it easier to learn ‘Monster’ because I was used to the finger positions on my instrument. We also decided on a name for our band and designed a badge logo. The name for the band was Eco Beats! This was decided after a class vote, the name was suggested by Mairi and the winning design for the logo was created by Lily!

Drummers

When we figured out we were going to play in front of the school and play in the Beacon, we started to make posters with powerful messages to raise awareness of global warming.

Finally the day came to watch the primary 7/6 perform their song. I was amazed at how good they sounded! I hoped our class would sound just as talented and professional!

Entertaining our school!
Terrific Trombones
School performance

On the 30th of October 2021, all the primary 7 and 7/6 pupils went to the Beacon to perform both the songs. Before we went on the stage, everyone started to get a little nervous.

Backstage!

There was a huge audience of family and friends sitting waiting to hear our performance. Not only that, the pupils of St Mary’s primary had their own support in the audience too!

When we got on the stage and started performing, I got really excited and happy as I could hear how good we sounded and the audience were smiling back at us was really encouraging! When we finished the song, everyone clapped and cheered. After we performed our songs, we got the chance to sit in the audience to hear St Mary’s have their turn. They were brilliant too!

Spreading the Climate Change message

Eco Beats in action on the main stage! Overall, I really enjoyed the Street Band experience and loved performing on stage in the Beacon.

By Sara (P7)

Just another blogs.glowscotland.org.uk – Inverclyde site