Burns Supper 2016

Entering the hall I strode. What I was used to seeing, a typical everyday school canteen, had had a major makeover! Artwork on the walls, homemade thistles in vases and everyone looking so smart! As soon as I walked in, I knew this night would be a blast!

Clapping hands, smiling faces, everyone was happy! Mr Trotter piped in the top table. I was at a table with Mrs Falconer, Mrs MacLean, Grace, Alexander, Kyle, Mrs Robertson, Peters gran and Ruairidh’s mum. We were chatting about the ‘Oor Wullie’ table mats and going to secondary school. Then the haggis came along. We all fell silent….DSCN0488

Jamie Lee carried in the haggis with the piper, Elizabeth and Ross. During the recitation on the poem, When Elizabeth cut the haggis, she missed it and accidentally nudged the quaiche and didn’t manage to pierce it. Luckily, she didn’t get too embarrassed and laughed with everyone else! I’m not too keen on haggis, but Jill has super cooking skills and managed to make it taste delicious! Whilst I was eating my dinner, I ‘overheard’ the deepest, DARKEST secrets of Mrs Falconer……………. Just kidding! We all know Mrs Falconer doesn’t have any secrets! Or does she?

I participated in 2 poems, I felt a little nervous as there were around 90 people in the hall! When I heard the hosts Molly and Conor call ‘Address To A Toothache.’ A cold shiver trickled down my spine. Once I got up there, I wasn’t nervous at all! It felt like I was the only person in the room! I’m very surprised I didn’t get flustered! In the end, I’m really happy I volunteered to learn a poem!

I really appreciate that Mrs Falconer used her spare time to help us practise and learn our poems. Thankfully, Mrs MacLean helped us make artwork for around the hall and the table centrepieces. Also, I’m glad Mrs Hunter accompanied us for ‘ Ye Banks And Braes’  and ‘A Red Red Rose.’ I’m really pleased as I got to give flowers to Mrs MacLean and Jenna’s gran for making tablet.

Over all, Wednesday night was amazing! Although I’ve never been to a Burns Supper before,  I think ours was the best ever hosted!