Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Self-confidence  X
 Take risks  X
 Organise and plan  X
Manage Time  X
 Make presentations  X
 Act as a leader  X
 Listen to others X
 Debate formally and informally  X
 Take notes  X

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Organise and plan  Stay on top of university work by prioritising what needs to be done first and looking into lecture slides before class.  During my final years at school I had a lot of extra curricular activities as well as a job therefore I had to stay organised and plan out my work to ensure that I was staying on top of things.
 Manage Time  Ensuring I attend all of my lectures and turn up on time. Also, taking time out to read over my notes and make sure I do not leave my work to be done last minute.  Ensuring that I was not late to meeting and took on the roll to organise and plan meetings that would suit everyone’s time.
 Make Presentations  Create presentations when needed for assessment purposes. Use previous skills and knowledge to bring the best possible outcome.  Previously assessed on presentations, placing the correct and right amount of information, not overloading the slides and showing my knowledge by further explaining what I had wrote.
 Act as a Leader  When on placement it is vital to act as a leader to guide the class.  Taking the role as chairperson of my schools charity committee meant that I had to act as a leader, which meant I had to manage my team.
 Listen to Others  When working in groups it i s important to listen to your peers so that they are being acknowledged and so that their ideas can be used.  Being apart of the committee also meant that I had to take each members opinion into consideration.
 Take Notes  I will take notes during lectures to help consolidate my learning.  Taking and revising notes from previous learning.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Part B – Activity 1

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills not yet developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Self confidence  Putting myself in situations where I cannot rely on other people. Put myself in situations where I need to be confident within myself.
 Debate formally and informally  Not to be afraid to express my own thoughts and ideas and question others.  Express my own opinions and not to be afraid of people questioning me vice versa.
 Take risks  Not always take the fail safe option.  Believe in my own ideas and not be afraid to execute them.