Week two-17th of september

This week’s lecture started with looking at ‘Justifying the Arts-Drama and Intercultural Education’ (Fleming, 2006) and we looked at the process of visual thinking. The task was to take a page of the journal each, pick out metaphors and then draw them on top of the page.I personally struggled with this task as the section I had was mostly academic and filled with quotes so I was unsure how to turn them into pictures.

In our drama workshop, we looked at four main concepts (Still image, Thought tracking and flash forward/back). We took inspiration from Avril Paton’s ‘Windows in the West’ and were to create scenes around things that could be happening in the tenement.  I found this really interesting as there was lots of different ideas showcased within the class and it also helped me to see a link between drama and literacy in the classroom. Drama could be used to enhance creative writing as it could allow children o explore things like alternative ending or beginnings through flash-forwards/ flashbacks.

However, our visual arts workshop was probably my favourite. We covered our hands in black ink and then used them to create different shapes on the page. We then went over them with black pens to see what images we could create. I found this really fun and inspiring because you start out with a simple dot or line and use your creativity to turn it into so much more. It also helped me get rid of the idea that I can’t draw because if you can write, you can draw!

Fleming, M. (2006) Justifying the Arts- Drama and Intercultural Education. The Journal of Aesthetic Education. Vol.40(1), pp.54-64.