Fakebook

In class we recently used Fakebook. It is a version of facebook however you make up the character and you control the information. Mine was on Muhammad Ali and how he stood up for his rights and people in a time when It was tough to do so. This tool will be useful in the classroom for example if you are doing a history lesson, about World War 2 you could make a Winston Churchill profile and have his allies and enemies commenting on his wall. This way history is learnt in a modern context and something children use everyday. This is a very useful tool for teaching history and modern studies in particular.

Maths

The telegraph does a very interesting piece on maths and English.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10953914/Children-do-not-have-innate-ability-in-English-or-maths.html

Maths was always something I did not enjoy. I never felt I was any good at it and in addition it was never really pushed as much as English I felt both in school and at home. But once I went to high school there was a teacher who really believed in my abilities and gave me confidence. I realise that many pupils just need some encouragement and they can do very well. Also there are some including people I know that say maths is for boys and English is for girls. However I know this to be false as myself and many of my friends were better at English than maths. I think that there is no difference between the two and that with the right support and encouragement children can be equally as good at maths as they are at English.

I think that no child should be put in a box. This is with regard to every subject, PE drama music science give the children the support so they can make their own choices as to if the subject is for them.

The Enquiring Practitioner

Practitioner enquiry is a ‘finding out’ or an investigation with a rationale and approach that can be explained or defended. For teachers this is useful as it can allow them to research areas with other teachers with other ideas and come out with a positive, better outcome than the one previous. An enquiring practitioner is someone who is always looking to learn more and benefit those they are teaching. It is important to be an enquiring practitioner as a student teacher and a teacher as it allows you to grow as a teacher and as a result benefit the pupils. It is shown also that teachers who engage in research have better knowledge of their area, this can only be positive for everyone involved.

If people work collaboratively it will bring other points of view to the table and in the long run will improve the curriculum as it will help others see different points of view and improve the pupils learning and that is what the ultimate goal is. However the problem is if one person does not pull their weight then the whole thing is ruined in addition there is a danger of one person taking over and only their point of view is put across and if that happens then once again the point is ruined.

Practitioner enquiry should challenge teachers to improve as it allows them to look at the way they teach more critically with the help of others. This gives them a deeper insight into who they can change and become better teachers.

Social Media – Positive or negative

Social Media -TDT

When on social media you need to exert caution with what you are sharing or expressing. Social media offers a great opportunity to educate pupils or help pupils online, for example using twitter as an educational tool as some of my teachers did at school. However caution needs to be shown with regards to your personal social media, whatever you share needs to be thought through as not only does it reflect badly on you but on your school and could cost you your job.

Social media as mentioned before can be a powerful tool for both good and bad. It is important to use social media and not be afraid to express personal views. However these should be expressed on personal private accounts and even then seriously think through what offence may be took before posting or sharing something. For any non-private accounts extreme caution needs to be shown. Technology and social media needs to be used in the classroom as results show that technology can aid the pupils learning. From personal experience I have felt the use of technology in my maths class with educational games was both fun and helped me learn.

In conclusion, social media if used correctly will be a positive input for parents, pupils and teachers, as it allows the pupil to look online and get extra support from teachers. However it is important that the pupils learn the risk of social media. If used appropriately social media is an opportunity to revolutionise education, to make the link between home and school much stronger. We should be positive about social media and use it to assist the learning of pupils.