Week THREE!

City of Mandurah Library.

This week I was in Mandurah Library participating in the out of school Easter crafts that were being held in the libraries main area. The first thing that struck me when going into the library is how busy it was, in comparison to libraries back home. It is extremely well facilitated by the local community and offers many services to the local community within their digital hub. earn how to use your computer, tablets and smart phone. We provide free computer training courses in the Digital Hub. Training is done in small groups, or you can book a one on one session. Classes are available for complete beginners to intermediate learners. Examples of classes available: one on training for any level; online job applications; using the myGov website; skype for beginners; introduction to ipad and tablet use; exploring your family history with ancestry.com. how to read free online magazines and how to download eBooks.

I was amazed to see people queuing up outside the library on my first morning as I was waiting for the doors to be unlocked at 9am. the library continued to be busy until 5.30 when I was leaving and does not shut until 8pm at night. the staff at the library have made me feel so welcome and I instantly felt part of the team once I had been shown around where everything was and introduced to everyone. My typical day at the library was arriving for 9 and then preparing the arts and crafts activities for the 10.30am workshop. It has honestly been so enjoyable doing the craft activities with the children and is such a nice way to spend the morning. Once the activity had been finished and cleared it was followed by lunch. Preparation would then begin for the 1.30pm activity.

Personal highlights of this week have been a talk from the author and illustrator James Foley who came in to do a workshop on his most recent book, Brobot. The children absolutely adored his workshop as he came into show the children how they could design their own robot. What sort of characteristics would the children want their robot to have? Foley was very entertaining and the children were absolutely enthralled by everything he said. He quickly introduced his book and the characters in it and discussed how he was able to decide what he wanted his robot to look like. After this, the children ere then able to discuss what they would want their robot too look like.

PEEL Young Creatives – SPARK: Art of Sales by Julian Canny.

PEEL refers to the region of the local communities that surround Mandurah. PEEL Young Creatives Collective was founded to connect and empower artists aged 18-25 years old living in the PEEL region of Western Australia. The Collective is a platform for young artists to test new ideas, find inspiration, seek mentors and feedback, experiment with collaboration and share stories and opportunities. A key initiative of The Collective is SPARK; this is a free co-working space for young creatives of any discipline to ignite inspiration and collaboration amongst the local artists.  

Julian Cany is a freelance Arts Entrepreneur and Producer. He is the ringleader and Founder of social enterprise The Comedy Emporium and Arts Producer Emporium. The aim of this workshop was to develop the Young Creative’s art of sales. The workshop was focussing on the importance of organisational and leadership skills to allow artists to be able to sell their own work. Although I do not have my own business or sell my artwork, the workshop was still highly beneficial to me as I was able to transfer all of these skills in how to be a good teacher.

This event was held at Make Place, which is a fantastic and highly valuable resource to have within the community. Make Place is an “innovation and co-working hub in the heart of Mandurah, bringing like-minded people together to be inspired, solve problems and make change.”  http://www.themakers.org.au/initiatives/make-place/ Make Place offers a place for those who need assistance in setting up a business and also offers free consultations and advice to those who are in need. This applies to all members of the PEEL region, not just young creatives. I was fascinated by the services it offered to the community and thoroughly impressed with how well facilitated it was by the local community. As we were having our meeting with SPARK, the ‘big bosses’ of the art and community organisations for the PEEL region were having their monthly meeting in a separate area of Make Place. Once both meetings were done, pizza was provided and this allowed all of the PEEL Young Creatives to mingle and network with owners of big businesses. Again, I wasn’t selling a product or promoting a business but I love a wee chat so it was extremely interesting talking to everyone and explaining why I’m over from Scotland.

Stretch Festival – Final Push.

As the library was shut for Good Friday, I was in the Council Offices to get caught up on what is happening with the Stretch Festival and what is still to be completed. We went through all of the infrastructure to ensure that everything was in order.

Published by

Avatar photo

Scarlett Carty

Primary Education student at the university of Dundee. I am currently on my Learning from Life placement in Western Australia. Follow @scartyUoD on Twitter for more frequent updates.