Reflection

Reflection is something we all do, often without even realising. How many times have we said “if I could go back now, I’d do that differently,” or “if only I had done that instead of what I did.”

I think reflection is about looking back on things that have happened in the past and thinking about how that has changed your outlook or how you would tackle a situation if it was to arise again. I don’t think reflection always has to be about looking back on negative things – it can be recalling a happy moment and thinking about how you felt at that time and how that may influence you in the future. For example, if you had been on holiday and had a really lovely, relaxing time, you might consider booking to go to the same place next time.

I think reflection is important in learning. It is important to always reflect on the lessons/lectures to ensure that you understand what had been said and to help you when you do further work on that subject (e.g. further reading). Reflection is also important in learning when it is your own work. Reflecting on the feedback your tutor has given you from an assignment can help make improvements for the next assignment. Personal reflection on work is also beneficial, as you can identify points where you wish to improve for next time and by personally reflecting periodically, it will help you to achieve the changes you wish to make to your work.