Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Self-confidence   x
 Take risks x
 Organise and plan x
Manage Time x
 Make presentations x
 Act as a leader x
 Listen to others x
 Debate formally and informally x
 Take notes x

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
Self-Confidence  As a teacher I will use self-confidence during placement to help me make my own decisions based off what I think is the right approach for the children in my class. I think that by showing self confidence the pupils in my class will be encouraged to have confidence in themselves also.
Creativity  Being creative is another essential skill that teachers should have; creativity underpins many different other skills which allow a teacher to work effectively in the classroom. I will use creativity while out on placement to come up with different approaches to suit different children (GIRFEC) and also to inspire the children in my class to think outside of the box. I can use creativity while at university to think of ideas which are less conventional and broaden the mind of others.
Self Discipline
I will use self-discipline to find the right balance between my studies and my life outside of university. This will help me keep on top of my work whilst ensuring I stay healthy and motivated.
 Team Work  Partaking in interdisciplinary modules this semester means that I will be using team work skills on a daily basis to share and listen to different view points from the students in my group, especially those who are studying CLD and Social Work, as they will have different inputs than those of us who are studying education. I will also have to have an open line of communication with my group so that we are all sharing the work load evenly.
Listen to Others  Listening to others is a vital skill that I will use all through university and throughout my teaching career. It is important not to have a fixed mindset and be open to inputs from other people so that you can become a more knowledgeable and inclusive person. Trying other people’s ideas may lead to a more successful outcome, as everyone has different experiences and ideas to share.
 Act as a Leader
When working in groups it may sometimes be necessary to take turns with leading a task we have been set. This ensures that there is minimised conflict within the group. This is a transferrable skill that will become very important when I am out on placement, as the role of a teacher requires strong leadership skills.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Part B – Activity 1

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills not yet developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Organise and Planning
I feel that as my time at university goes on, I will improve my organisational and planning skills as the work load becomes more intense and I am having to balance my studies with my other commitments. To do this, I will ensure that I keep on top of my work now so that when I do receive a heavier work load, I will be a good routine and practice to manage it. By keeping a diary of all reading and homework tasks given, I am developing my organisational skills and can pace myself for the tasks set.
 Debating Formally and Informally
I can develop this skill by learning how to adjust the language I use while debating to fit the setting. For example, knowing when to use more formal language and having suitable references to back up my statements while in formal debate. Also this skill can be developed further by ensuring that I have the self confidence to air my opinions with others.