Teaching: Breaking the stigma

Throughout my time in education, I have always noticed a distinct lack of male role models. In my early years my father was my idol; everything he did seemed amazing to me. Whether it was his vast music collection or his suits and ties he wore to work I saw my Dad as the coolest guy around. Some might say a lot of his behaviors are reflected in myself, i’m not too sure if this is a good thing or not, and I believe this is because of the huge influence he had on my early development. Now my mother was also a huge influence during my early years and we are also very similar however, I believe that I was more connected and focused on my father.

Why does this have anything to do with why I want to be a teacher? Well I’ll tell you. I believe there is a massive stigma against males being in education. This stigma stems back years and years ago where the women taught the children and the men went out to do the “real” work. Obviously things have changed since then now that we’re living in the 21st century; however, there is still a distinct lack of males teaching! I believe that whilst children go through education, especially males, they begin to notice a pattern that the majority of their teachers are female. This subliminally sticks in a child’s mind and when it comes to male children deciding what they want do with themselves in the future, teaching isn’t even given a second thought.

So, Why teaching? As a teacher I will be able to help break this stigma that males cannot become teachers and giving children that male influence they so truly need; developing well rounded individuals ready to take the future in their stride and make decisions for themselves.