Why teaching?

An educator can simply be defined as someone who is dedicated to delivering an understanding of different subjects and values to their pupils. However, I believe the role of a teacher in the 21st century has evolved into so much more than this. A teacher must be passionate about their role and should encourage pupils to push out of their comfort zones and excel as individuals. As a future teacher, I will be responsible for creating a positive and stable environment in which all pupils, regardless of background, can achieve their maximum potential.

I have always aspired to have a career that makes a difference in people’s lives, and as a primary teacher I know I can work hard to provide pupils with the best possible start in life. Through volunteering at both Southesk and St. Margaret’s Primary Schools, I gained first-hand experience of working in a primary school environment and this really confirmed that teaching is the profession I would like to undertake. I worked across the schools from nursery to P7 and I am looking forward to deepening my understanding of the Curriculum for Excellence in my future studies. I was fortunate to be trusted to assist and lead a variety of tasks including overseeing reading groups, supporting pupils with spelling and numeracy, supporting bilingual pupils and planning activities. My experiences have led me to become passionate about the subject of ‘inclusion’ and I aim to work to ensure that all pupils, from different schools, receive the same high level of educational support- no matter which area they are from. I have also spent a lot of my free time volunteering for the NHS and in a secondary SFL base, supporting children and young people with a range of medical conditions such as Autism and ADHD. As a result of this, I have developed a particular interest in teaching pupils with special educational needs and hope to one day pursue a career in this area of education.

I understand that the role of an educator is so much more than simply teaching children how to read and write, it takes into account not only their intellectual development but also their social and emotional development, by encouraging creativity and individuality. What works for one child may well not work for another, and I will use this idea whilst supporting and guiding pupils on their own personal learning journeys. To me, one of the most extraordinary aspects about becoming a teacher is the opportunity to learn through teaching others. I will keep this at the core throughout my journey in education and will use this to be the best possible version of myself as an educator.