My Educational Journey

If I had to give a reason as to why I wanted to become a teacher, I would have to start at the beginning where it all began. My educational journey started at the age of four – different to most who start at five. This was a factor that helped me to grow up quicker than most. I found myself always aiming to achieve just to stay on par with my peers. I have had my negative experiences with teachers who questioned if I should be at school due to my lack of maturity and the best experiences where others believed in me.

Having educators and “role models” who I should have been able to go to for guidance or worries, knock my confidence a such a young age, could have allowed me to take little seriousness in my education. However, I have done everything in my power to grow academically and challenge my abilities.

So, to answer the most asked question at my first week of University, “Why do you want to do teaching?”

Because if I could be half the educator of those teachers who supported me, then I would be succeeding and making the best impact on vulnerable children; I could give back to the education system that has taught me everything that I know and I can spend everyday being in a career that I love.

While contributing in work experience in classrooms across Dundee and Fife, I have developed my passion for teaching. Witnessing each child’s light bulb moment – where something they thought they would never understand, finally comes clear is the most fulfilling feeling. Knowing that I could improve the quality of a child’s life is the reason that teaching is for me. It is everything that I have wanted.