Values Workshop Reflection

On Tuesday I had my first workshop for the Values: Self, Society and The Professions module.

At first we were split into 4 groups with roughly 6 people in each. We all had to complete a task, which was to create a resource for a new student coming to the University of Dundee. We were all handed an envelope containing similar objects however some groups were given more resources than others. My group had a few post it notes, bits of paper, pens, paperclips and elastic bands which are very basic. We weren’t aware at this point that each group had been given different resources.

We were given 10 minutes to decide what resource we were going to make and then presented it to the class. We then worked in our groups to create our resource. As the lecturer walked round each group he made comments such as ‘great idea’ and was involved, however he only did this for certain groups.

Once we were finished we presented our resource to the class. As our group presented the lecturer had turned his back and didn’t seem to be listening which made us feel demotivated where as with other groups he was encouraging them and giving positive feedback. We scored 4/10 for our presentation where as other groups with similar ideas had scored 7/10 and 9/10.

After this our lecturer explained that these scores and resources had been given deliberately and it was to represent how some children coming from different backgrounds do not have the resources they need but this should not stop them from learning and taking part the same as others around them. This showed me that with a lack of encouragement and support it can be easy to under achieve and lose interest. By partaking in this workshop, I now understand the importance of recognising these things to ensure that the child develops to their full potential.