1st Blog- Why Teaching?

As clique as it may sound, from no age I have wanted to teach. I used to play teachers with my friends in early primary school and this soon evolved to me working hard in high school to make my dream become a reality. I think my passion to teach came from the love I have had for my own education, I have always found learning fun and interesting. Therefore I wish to create an environment as a teacher where my pupils can feel the same enthusiasm for learning. Having found out only last year that I have a processing issue and dyscalculia, as a teacher I want to try put the correct support in place for each child and spot the early signs of hidden learning difficulties. By identifying these issues the correct support can be put in place for the rest of their education, not just their final year of high school like me.

The reason Dundee stood out to as the University for me was immediate welcoming atmosphere and friendly staff and students. The placement in first year appealed to me as not all Universities offer this.  I felt this would really enhance my prior classroom experience and help to give me key skills to become a well rounded  teacher. I love to travel and experience new countries and cultures the elective for IB in second year and the opportunities to travel abroad immediately caught my attention and made Dundee stand out from other Universities.