Why Education? A Roundabout Journey.

——Pass the parcel——

Guiltily, my initial choice to study Education in December 2017 was not built on the foundations they perhaps should have been. Integral values like a love for children or a desire to give something back to the community were not at the forefront of my mind. Instead, my UCAS application had began with browsing degrees that had a natural career pathway.

After studying Politics and Journalism, I was set in my mind that I didn’t want to indulge in another run-of-the-mill arts degree. I wanted to do something with a purpose; something with a drive. This is when I stumbled across Education (MA hons). I’ve always been confident, a good public speaker and I can even tolerate weans; it just wasn’t something I had thought of studying first time around. However, after working in the classroom and getting to know pupils day in day out to support my application, I began to realise that this was definitely something I wanted to pursue as a career. Nothing felt forced and it’s something that I really enjoyed. I had actually considered deferring for a year as I was living in Sydney, enjoying the lifestyle and making good money at the same time. Although, after much consideration I decided to start in 2018, I wanted to get back into learning and back into good habits. I have a desire to pass on the passion and expertise that many of my excellent teachers had passed onto me, a parcel of knowledge or a baton per se, if I had left it any longer the music was going to stop.