Reflection, why is it important to reflect?

Reflection is one of the most important ways in developing as a future primary school teacher. Reflecting on my work makes me aware of my own strengths and weaknesses. Highlighting your weaknesses allows you to react quickly and improve and progress as a practitioner.

Within the first semester at university, when completely tasks or being involved within discussions I came to the realisation that I had very low confidence. I did not have the confidence in myself to speak out within workshops or lectures or even have the confidence to complete work as I did not think it was good enough. As the semester went on I didn’t gain full confidence but I realised that everyone is different and everyone learns in different ways. If I didn’t speak up then I wasn’t engaging with everyone in my group and this held me back as I wasn’t learning from my peers and my peers didn’t get my view point.

Now I look back on this and I am so glad that I reflected on my confidence when I did because now I am a much more confident person and will now speak out in front of larger groups of people. I have gained the confidence to ask questions to my peers and lecturers if I don’t understand something as no question is a silly question. Reflection within the teaching profession is key for instances like this when it may be one of your weaknesses but reflecting back on it you can make it into a strength by working on it. Within this profession you will have to do a lot of reflection as you will be progressing and learning throughout the whole time of being a teacher, there may be some things you struggling more with but its all about improving.