Identifying my skills and abilities

Activities for unit 1 Personal and Interpersonal Skills and Abilities

1. Identifying Skills and Abilities

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities 1 2 3
Self confidence                     x
Self-discipline                     x
Team Work                     x
Act as a Leader                      x
Listen to others                     x
Write for academic purposes                      x
Computing Skills                     x
Be Creative                     x
Problem solving                     x

Activity 2

1. Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.
Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How I will use these How do I know (evidence)**
Self confidence Having confidence in yourself when teaching will show that you are confident in what you are teaching but also will emphasise confidence to the children who you are teaching.
Self-discipline When studying at school I had good discipline as I was very organised and was very punctual when meeting deadlines. This will shine through in order for me to meet deadlines further.
Team Work Team work is a big attribute for me as I have worked in teams in all my jobs previously. This will be very important in order to meet the needs of individual children.
Act as a Leader The children must have a leader in order for the classroom to have control. A leader is not only going to be in charge of the children, but it will give the children someone to look up too, a role model.
Listen to others It is important that children and adults feel they can speak to you with confidence and that you will listen and be there for them. Teachers need to build trusting relationships with the children in order for them to feel safe and secure while at school. I feel I am a approachable person and like listening to all the different points that people may have on a situation.
Write for academic purposes Throughout my time at university I will be developing my skills of academic writing through my eportfolio or writing essays.
Computing Skills I will use my computing skills to create different learning materials such as powerpoint etc.
Be Creative I will use my creative side to make lessons more interesting and enjoyable for different age groups. Make my lessons my own.
Problem solving I will use my problem solving skills where there is a problem that needs to be overcome and take into account what is the best way to do so.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How I will develop these How do I know (evidence) **
Act as a leader I will develop my confidence more in order to be a better leader.
Organise and plan I will be organised and planned by creating plans for each lesson I am going to teach in placement so that it runs smoothly for each class. Also will be organised so that I am also making sure my written work is on time.
Debate formally and informally I will be able to gain these skills by getting involved in group discussions with my classmates.
Build social networks I will make sure I am creating discussions with my classmates.
Think critically When researching on different topics throughout studying I will be critical in what information I will use.
Generate new ideas I will make sure that I am trying my best in assignments to put my ideas out there. In placement I will also be able to show my new ideas.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.