Teaching. Did I choose it or did it choose me?

If someone had asked me five years ago what job I saw myself doing in the future I would not have been able to answer. However now I cannot see myself doing anything else. But how did I make this choice?

For as long as I can remember I have always loved working with young people. From being a playground buddy in P7, to mentoring younger pupils in my secondary school and even becoming a voluntary youth leader for young teenagers. Through all these experiences I gained more confidence in myself but also saw what it was like to have an impact on the life of a young person, whether that was in their academic life or their personal one, and I found it so rewarding that I was always searching for new ways to get involved with children and youth work.

When it came to deciding what path I wanted to take for my career, however, I felt overwhelmed and unsure of what I would enjoy but also be good at. Various family members and friends told me that teaching would be something they thought I would succeed at, however as a pupil who was needing extra support in her own school life I doubted whether it was something I could do.

I decided to do work experience in a primary school and although I was uncertain about it at first, I began to realise that teaching was something I would love to do. After spending time working one-to-one with a boy who needed extra maths support, I saw how I could have the same effect on children as my teachers had been having on me when I needed the additional support and encouragement, making me realise how rewarding it was to give back to the education system that I had gained so much from.

Although I did not yet know it a few years ago, I had been gaining experience in youth and children’s work my whole life, not for my CV or university application, but simply because I have always had a passion for working with young people. I know now that although I did choose to become a primary teacher, I do not believe I could have chosen anything else and I am excited for the journey ahead of me.

2 thoughts on “Teaching. Did I choose it or did it choose me?

1. I agree you need to love working with young (or older?) people. But to me teaching needs you to learn. Teaching reignited my love of learning. And it’s infectious. My advice is pay it forward and don’t waste a moment!!!

Reply
    1. Post author

I definitely agree with you there. Having a love of learning and seeing children discover their own love to learn is something I am very excited for!

Reply