Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Punctuality  3
 Confidence  2
 Organisation  2
 Articulation 2
 Leadership  1
 Reliability  3
 Consistency  3
 Maturity  3
 Mentality  2

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Punctuality  Always being on time for lectures, tutorials, workshops and ultimately in the classroom.  Good record for punctuality at school for example very few late’s and consistent level of attendance.
 Organisation  Coping with the workload and arranging my ePortfolio to a high standard.  Strong work ethic for being organised and willingness to keep up to date on work.
 Confidence  To effectively deliver my presentation and in the future teach a class.  I have good people skills and even although confidence is something I need to work on I am determined to strengthen this skill in order to become a good teacher.
 Mentality To handle difficult situations both in lectures, workshops and the classroom.  I am a level headed individual and have experience of needing to have the correct mentality when dealing with children in various situations such as an after school club.
 Maturity  I will use this to act in an appropriate and professional manner. My ability to deal with challenges in the workplace has brought me to understand the importance of maturity.
 Leadership  `To work effectively in groups.  I have a sound ability in working with children however I can see myself feeling intimated by colleagues in the workplace which I understand I must change and am willing to do so.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills not yet developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
Build Social Networks  To develop my skills in this area I want to put myself forward for tasks such as these so that I can gain more experience
 Share opinions openly  I need to work on this skill and become more confident in sharing my opinions.
 Managing Time  I have to improve my time management skills in order to balance my social life and my studies.
 Using Technology  I want to look into using the technology available for resources and other areas in teaching which will enhance my professional progress.
 Self confidence  In order to develop this I need to be more confident in the work I am  producing