Reflection on the GTCS Standards for Provisional Registration

Link to Standards: http://www.gtcs.org.uk/web/files/the-standards/standards-for-registration-1212.pdf

The standards in Section 1 within the documentation in the link above is split into four categories:

1. Social Justice
  2. Integrity
  3. Trust & Respect
  4. Professional Commitment

Despite each section being briefly summarised by bullet points in this documentation our workshop last week encouraged us to expand on these to fully understand the meaning behind each category.

Social Justice:

• This section highlights how we should look at social backgrounds, different cultures and gender and try and achieve equality for all. As professionals we must not only implement equality but we should also promote this idea to our pupils. By making children aware of the importance of equality now we have more of a chance of having an inequality free world in the future.
  • Sustainability is also mentioned in this section. As teachers we must make a conscious effort to raise awareness of the importance of sustainability. This could include planning lessons on areas such as recycling and renewable energy in order to educate pupils on this topic.
  • Discrimination comes under this term too. This means that teachers should not be seen to be discriminating against any pupil in their class. If any sort of discrimination occurs between pupils it must be dealt with straight away.
  • Pupils need to be made aware of diversity under this area of the standards. Pupils need to understand that within society there are different groups of people. No one person is the same. It is important we explain this in an appropriate way in order to meet the standards.
  • An important aspect of this section is being able to teach in an unbiased manner. There are many controversial issues that may come up when teaching in the classroom but teachers must be neutral and explain all sides of the story. We want to enable pupils to create their own views and opinions without being influenced by their teacher.
  • This section also touches on how we must make children aware of the rights and responsibilities they hold. This may also include looking at the role they take in their local community and how they can improve this.

Integrity

• “Demonstrating openness, honesty, courage and wisdom” is one of the bullet points under this heading. I think it is important to look at each word individually to cage what they mean in this context.

– Openness: It is vital that teachers make themselves approachable which will in turn hopefully eliminate pupils feeling intimidated. Teachers are not only there to teach but we are here to support pupils. Many may want to talk about issues that they feel they cannot bring up with their own family so being approachable will mean pupils feel comfortable with confiding in you.

– Honesty: This is key within teaching. Not is it only important to be honest with pupils and colleagues but it is also important to be honest with yourself. If a lesson clearly isn’t working and pupils are struggling you must admit to yourself that the way you taught the subject initially possibly isn’t right for your pupils. Going back to the drawing board and changing your outlook on the topic may be necessary but first we must be honest with ourselves and admit that we may have made the wrong decision.

– Courage: This means that we must stand up for what we believe in and not be intimidated by others opinions if we do not agree with them. Courage is important in teaching as it is easy to just go along with the crowd but if you feel something needs to be done, for example if a pupil needs more support and you feel like you cannot solely provide this you must speak up. Have confidence in your opinions.

– Wisdom: In my opinion wisdom is based around experience. It is my job to build my wisdom as I gain more experience in the profession. Although I may not be able to help the fact that I don’t have a great deal of experience in the classroom compared to others I can develop my knowledge by studying. Being knowledgeable on the curriculum and teaching styles will lead to greater wisdom. Furthermore it is vital to have a good sense of judgement.

• We must critically examine our own beliefs under this heading. We need to question whether they are solid beliefs and whether there is a better approach that we need to adopt. We must also look at school values and whether they are efficient or whether they need to be altered. We need to constantly asses these areas to ensure we are doing the best for our classes.

Trust and Respect

• The main focus of this section is implementing mutual respect between pupils and teachers.  This is vital when creating a positive working environment. The same can be said with colleagues. Working well with staff will set a good example to the children.
  • This section highlights how it is important to set boundaries within a classroom – some things are not appropriate to say or do in this environment and pupils must be aware of this. Teachers must state what is appropriate behaviour within the classroom so that pupils respect the rules.
  • Manners also come into play within this section. It is important that teachers implement manners from an early age. By using please and thank you this will show children how to respect one another which is a key lifeskill they must learn.
  • Safety must also be looked at. This may involve bringing up the issue of bullying and taking any forms of it that may arise seriously. As teachers we must also be aware of the physical boundaries within the classroom and continue to act professionally whatever the circumstance. Safety also includes openly talking about issues such as mental health and reporting any cases or signs you have seen that may suggest a pupil is suffering from health problems like this.

Personal Commitment

• This section focuses on engagement. We must engage with pupils staff and extra-curricular activities. Enthusiasm must be shown in all areas of the curriculum and treat each area with the same amount of importance.
  • We must work as one with all the members of staff by supporting one another and treating each other with mutual respect. When working collaboratively we must put the child at the core and establish what is best for them.
  • We must commit ourselves to the whole profession, not just the educational part. Teaching isn’t simply about educating pupils, it is also about doing our best to shape them into good people. Teaching is about going the extra mile and not just doing the bare minimum.
  • We must be open to new opportunities and experiences that will enhance our professional development. We must be willing to learn throughout our profession and not stop simply because you gain your qualification.
  • We must furthermore be able to keep a good standard of professionalism in our leadership roles throughout our whole career. This involves: being on time, having plans for class, dress code, professional conduct, always being organised…

Overall I really enjoyed looking into the GTCS Standards for Provisional Registration in deeper context. At times it was hard to get my head around what each point meant but by taking my time and working through each one I was able to gain a deeper understanding of everything. I think it is important to constantly refer back to these during the next 4 years and after I qualify in order to become the best teacher I can be.