Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Self-confidence

Take risks  
 Organise and plan  ✔
Manage Time
 Make presentations  ✔
 Act as a leader
 Listen to others  
 Debate formally and informally  
 Take notes

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Organise and plan  To prepare with my Working Together team for our visit to an agency to ensure we get the most we can out of it.  By producing a good end result in the form of our assessment,
 Manage time  To ensure my work is completed fully and to a good standard. This will be reflected in my grades.
 Listen to others  To gain knowlegde and insight from other’s experiences.  By having a wealth of knowledge that spans many areas of each profession.
 Debate formally and informally  To challenge view points as well as gain other people’s perspectives.  To develop balanced arguments on both sides of an issue, and seeing it from everyone’s point of view.
Act as a leader When partaking in group work, if taking the lead is necessary I am comfortable to do so. By delegating roles or facillitating conversation, it allows the group to constantly remain productive.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Part B – Activity 1

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills not yet developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Self-confidence By develoing a self belief in the fact that my input is relevant  Being more comfortable engaging in group discussion, free of fear my point isn’t good enough or ‘right’
 Make presentations  By practising making presentations that are engaging, yet still containing necessary information  Sharing my presentations with fellow students and mentors and receiving feedback to improve further
 Take Risks  By improving my self confidence  When making decisions I will be choosing what is best in my own opinion, and not being concerned about what other people would do. Even if it does not work out well, I can then use that as a learning experience for the future