Why is teaching my chosen path…

The reward in bringing creativity and learning into a child’s life has always appealed to me… I have been intrigued by the idea of educating children and pursuing a career as a Primary Teacher for many years. Having a mother who has worked in Primary schools for a long time and introducing me to the different teaching techniques and marking schemes , I have been unknowingly enhancing my interest in the career most of my life. I then developed this interest by discussing her experiences in the classroom and, latterly, spending time gaining experience supporting pupils in school. I have worked with teachers to prepare and create resources designed to deliver an engaging, quality learning experience for children. After my experiences I began to understand that a Primary Teacher must be committed, patient and organized with an understanding of the needs of individual children and how to meet these in a range of subject areas. I believe that I possess these qualities and my belief has driven me to aim for Primary Teaching as a career and Dundee University as a place to study it.

It wasn’t till the end of my own schooling that the idea of teaching formed into a firm aspiration. I have always had an affinity with children; initially with my own relatives, then working as a ‘babysitter’ for friends and family. I was a voluntary coach at my previous gymnastics club and realised how rewarding it can be to help others grow and develop.

I believe it is a privilege to be in a position to make a difference to young people’s lives, whilst experiencing the learning journey with them…and I feel as though this career is one I would be grateful to embark on as teaching is the path for me.