Art and Design TDT

For at art  and design TDT I have chosen to look at the design of the V&A museum in Dundee.

The appearance of the V&A is inciting and in my opinion the uniqueness of the external building appears to be encouraging people to come in and explore. The form of the V&A suits its purpose as an art museum as the building itself is a well-designed piece of art. However, there is currently much debate within the city of Dundee as to whether the V&A fits in with its surroundings. I personally feel that when the V&A was initially built it did not fit in with the surroundings, however as building works around the V&A continue I feel it is starting to for in, but it will forever be a focal point in the city.

The material used to build the V&A was concrete, however there are not straight walls, all of the walls on the external building are curved. The external building also has stone panels all the way around to create the impression of a Scottish cliff face. The building also has an opening that allows you to see through to the River Tay, as well having a water feature.