What made my decision

What made my decision of career path was a school placement I attended in my 4th year of high school. Seeing the way the teacher worked with their students an dhow she influenced them inspired me to aim for the same. watching teachers in a variety of placements has shown me many different styles and methods, all of which having an influential impact on the children; even all the way down to their very first years of life. Seeing this in placement made me realize that primary education was the correct career path for me as I aim to be a person who influences out future children, even slightly, within their education.

When I was younger I always viewed myself as becoming a vet, then as I grew older I seen myself entering a hair and makeup career but as I entered my 4th year of high school and was given the opportunity of a weeks work experience, I decided to go work in my old primary school. Being in an environment which I knew well I felt comfortable and very welcomed which made the experience even better.

From enjoying this experience so much, when I entered into 5th year, I went to my guidance teacher to arrange a 6 month placement around my timetable. I then attended another local primary school 1 morning a week for 6 months of my 5th year. I arranged this purposely because I enjoyed the experience the previous so much that it was a though of pursuing this as a career but I wanted to see what it would be like working in a school for a longer period of time. By working in a different class I experienced another form of teaching and bonded well with both the teacher and pupil. I was given advice on how to pursue this as a career and the responsibilities and qualities within the job, all of which appealed.

After receiving my grades from school, I was sure that this was the career path for me. That is when I decided to apply to college and try out a course focused primarily working with children. This included a placement in both primary and nursery, both of which I enjoyed and learned a vast amount from. The college course expanded my knowledge within the education sector teaching me about the Curriculum for Excellence, the impact learning has on children as early as nursey and the different ways of teaching and observing. By obtaining this knowledge this made placement enjoyable on another level. After having a successful year in this course, I decided to pursue this into a degree and go for it as a career path.