My Enquiry Question – First Draft

I have decided to focus  in on the area in alternative methods of teaching standard algorithms  to link in better with physical and mental models.

I think the research in this field is under explored, Most teachers , teach the same way they have  been taught.

This is a form of evidence that these methods are effective , the lindy effect is suggest that ideas last for a reason.

The group  I will focus are group of s1 learners , the reason this will be focus is that standard methods have failed with this group. After 7 years of primary education these 15 students cannot number bond within 10 and cannot complete the standard computations with any accuracy. This limits their chances in maths , across the curriculum and in future life. So a new method maybe worth a go.

My Enquiry Question

” How do alternative approaches to teaching the four operations   effect learners mathematical confidence and ability to perform said operations consistently and  accurately”

2 thoughts on “My Enquiry Question – First Draft”

1. Hi Barry,

Thanks for posting 🙂

I think the rationale for your focus is really strong, there is a clear need for those 15 young people.

I think your question reads well overall, a point that might be worth clarifying is what specific alternative approach/es you intend on testing out as at the moment this aspect seems quite broad.

Hope this is helpful!

2. Yeah definitely I put examples of the new techniques on an early post but I should have included them in this as well .
    Thanks
    Barry