Expressive Arts and Culture Week 5

7/2/19 – Concrete Poetry

In this session we moved from music back towards art and the idea of evocative objects. As part of our venture into this we had the task of writing 62 words describing our evocative object, in this lesson we combined those words using different materials to create a piece of art that represents our object.

In my case my object was a snow globe that my mum gave me at Christmas and to start my piece a drew a basic outline of the glove and the teddy in the centre. I then used a soft red pastel and gold/brown pearl dust to colour some of the base of the globe to represent some of the colours. I then wrote in my 62 words into the background of the globe/ around the teddy bear and used clear cellophane to create a shiny glass look using spray adhesive glue to stick it down.

These pictures show how I progressed through the making of my piece of work involving my words and drawing.

Concrete poetry is defined as “poetry in which effects are created by the physical arrangement of words in patterns or forms rather than by the use of traditional language structure”. Using this kind of activity with children would give them the opportunity to explore different ways of expressing themselves through visual elements and their own personal objects and writing. 

Dictionary.com (2019) Concrete Poetry, Available at: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/concrete-poetry (Accessed: 17th February 2019).