Diversity

Sustainable Development- Diversity

The last input of the module was focussed on the topic of Diversity. We looked at diversity in terms of bio-diversity and cultural diversity. Bio-diversity is the diversity in terms of different genetics, different species and different ecological aspects and how they all depend on each other to survive and evolve.

Learning Log

This week when learning about diversity, I was surprised to learn just how much everything depends on each other around us. For example, I had never thought about the decline and change that would occur if one piece of an environment or one species were to become extinct. For example, I had never thought about what would happen if coral were to die out in the ocean, I had never really thought about what would happen to the species that lived there or what impact the destruction of coral would have on the other aspects of the ecosystem such as the water and plants.
In terms of bio-diversity, I feel that I now have more of an appreciation for the world around us and will now think more openly and carefully about the impact that some actions may have on the eco-systems and species around us.

Cultural Diversity

This is diversity in the respect of different religions, cultures, morals and knowledge, as well as many other factors. Cultural diversity is something that I have thought about frequently due to recent cases of terrorism and debates about religion and culture but I had never really thought about the importance of cultural diversity. For example, I had never really thought about the range of aspects and knowledge that different cultures and ethnicities can bring to our own culture and country. Not only this, the diversity and knowledge that it can bring into schools.
In schools, children could learn about culture and diversity through different activities and topics such as different countries, festivals, languages as well as our own here in Scotland. I would have the class explore these topics through having wall displays, books, guest speakers and through exposing them to different parts of the culture such as real food and clothes. I feel that by having these sorts of activities and lessons, it will be easier for children to develop an integrated view of cultures in the sense that there does not need to be an ‘us’ and ‘them’ view but rather a view of looking at the differences in cultures but realising that we are all the same because we are all human beings with the same rights. If children are exposed to and know their rights from an early age, I think that they are much more likely to become involved in their classroom rules and have a much more open view to other cultures because they will realise that we all have the same rights.