Week 1/2

The Environment

The first two weeks were focused on learning about the environment. This included learning about the environment in general and also about our urban environment. In the lecture we learned about sustainability and why this is important for our environment and. We also learned about the benefits of teaching sustainability in a classroom setting to children. Sustainability is when we try to use the resources we have at a balanced level or reasonable rate. “The goal of sustainable development is to enable all people throughout the world to satisfy their basic needs and enjoy a better quality of life without compromising the quality of life of future generations.”

(Scottish Government, 2010, p. 4)

Sustainability is important to help our global eco systems and help improve our living standards for the future. If we are not sustainable enough we will not be able to carry on living using the amount of resources, we are using currently. “The disproportionate overuse of resources by industrialised nations has raised living standards in many countries but at a huge cost to the health of the Earth’s living systems”

(Scottish Government, 2012, p.6)

There are many benefits to sustainability/sustainable development. This includes health benefits, better use of resources, environmental improvements, relevant education etc.

Workshop 1

In the first workshop, we were outside and exploring the Japanese garden which is in the university grounds. In this workshop we were asked to take identify different trees and leafs in our environment and take tree and leaf rubbings. We were then carrying out some activities which involved analysing snails and looking at food chains. These activities were very fun and engaging. I also felt a bit more informed about the environment and how some of the environment around us works in harmony with each other such as the animals in the environment.

Workshop 2

In this workshop we were outside for the two hours. I particularly enjoyed this activity as I was learning a bit more about the environment that I was normally exposed to. For example, I didn’t realise that there were many different types of lichen and to start with I didn’t actually know there was a name for it. I liked looking for different types of leaves, trees and animals as it was quite relaxing to just have a wander around during our sensory walk and enjoy the space and environment we were working in. It was also very nice to be outside learning rather than in a classroom all day.

In general, we learned more about the environment we live in by having an opportunity to learn outside. On a personal level over the two weeks, I have learned more about my environment as I have been paying more attention to what I can see around me. I have noticed more things in my environment such as different types of trees, animals and birds etc. For example, I have noticed that there are different trees such as, birch trees, cherry blossom trees and elm trees in my area, whereas before, I wouldn’t have paid much attention to this. I have found this topic very interesting and eye opening as it has allowed me to engage much more with my own environment and actually allow myself to experience the nature that is around me instead of immediately disregarding my environment because it is considered drear with not many good things about it. Before I started this module, I never really appreciated the environment and never really thought that there was anything exciting or great about it but I have now begun to change my perspective on this.

During these two weeks, I have allowed myself to be more engaged with my environment and what is in it. I have begun to notice what is around me more and have been trying to appreciate what is there more. I have also realised how important this kind of learning will be for children in a primary school as it is very important for them to learn about the outdoors, even if this is just going for a walk around the school grounds. This also relates to primary education as activities like this could be used for all ages and will keep children engaged and focussed on what they are learning, perhaps without even realising they are learning. It will also give children a better insight and more appreciation to their environment.

Scottish Government (2010) Learning for Change Report. Edinburgh: Scottish Government

Scottish Government (2012) Learning for Sustainability: The  Report of the One Planet Schools Working Group. Edinburgh: Scottish Government

Useful resources for learning/primary teaching

Woodland trust website