Learning Log 5

This input has taught me a multitude of things. To begin with, I learnt how to plan an effective lesson regarding a practical activity. In small groups, we were instructed to create own anemometer. After this, we were to create our own lesson plan taking into consideration Curriculum for Excellence and practicality.

This task had developed my group working and problem-solving skills, each of which are important qualities to have in a teacher. I developed these skills through trial and error. Cooperatively was the word of the day. You were supposed to work together and consider other suggestions that may be applied. Flexibility and adaptability were also important today as you had to make the task your own, the instructions weren’t completely followed.

We had a guest lecturer come in from an East Ayrshire primary who taught us all about the incorporation of STEM in the class room. I really enjoyed this lecture as it is an area of the curriculum that I am passionate about. However, I am also apprehensive when teaching it. She advised us ways to start off topics and provided ideas as to how to start off topics. It reminded me of why I got into teaching, something that is extremely important round about this time of year.

I developed written and oral skills also as we had to lay out a clear plan of action, with signposts as to how you did and what you would do differently, as well as any specific considerations that must be taken into consideration with primary pupils.

I would like to research STEM more and how to incorporate aspects into daily lessons. It is becoming an increasing part of school curriculums with particular importance to the Curriculum for Excellence. It is something that I am going to need to teach and so I would rather be ready for what is inevitable going to come up.

I was absent the first week of Energy and so this learning log is based solely on week 10.