Appreciate and Evaluate a Dance Piece or Show (Dance 3H)

Tchaikovsky’s story of The Nutcracker was the dance piece that I decided to evaluate as it is one that I personally enjoy.However, it would be very difficult to evaluate the whole performance, so the excerpt which I have chosen is from  8:28 to 23:22.

My Evaluation

Choreography

img_0310

Staging

img_0309

Lighting

img_0312

Sound

img_0313

Costume

img_0314

Learning from Packaging (Art 4H)

This task requires me to compare and contrast different food packaging and decide which one is my personal favourite and why. As well as this,  I have to decide on the message they give out and to whom the message would be for. Lastly, from this I will look at how this can be used in a primary classroom before designing food packaging of my own which will appeal to my audience of choice.

Pachaging for Food Item Number 1 – Heinz Beans

ctcx5qkxgaav0jdDesign

The design of the beans is simple but very effective. The shape of the black badge in the centre is printed all most heinz products,although it is not always black, eg. Tomato Ketchup. This badge makes the product stand out as the plain background allows the letters to be more eye-catching. It has a mini badge which states that the product is one of your 5 a day, this will bring in the healthy eaters to the product as they will know it can be nutritious. The design also allows for the content of product to be displayed as it shows the beans on the bottom. A metal tin would also be used for stacking purposes as well as to help keep the product fresh and well contained.

Colour

The colours themselves are not the most outstanding although like previously said the black background of the badge makes the lettering catch the eyes of he consumers. This is because of the colour contrast between the white and the black. The green badge for the “5 a day” is also quite eye catching as it is a much brighter shade of green than was used for the background. I think the colour green was used here to represent health and green vegetables as that is the colour that is mostly representative of being of good health, having energy and making good choices, in this case choosing to have a healthy lifestyle.

Letters

Again, like I have mentioned previously, the white lettering on the black background will place emphasis on the white writing. The lettering underneath the white writing give a further description of the product contained in the tin.

Message Given

I feel like the message given by the packaging of Heinz Beans is that they are healthy and easy to make, considering that they come in a sauce so do not need to be prepared. I feel like they are also advertised to appeal to an older age range as the packaging is more neutral than a child aimed product.

Packaging for Food Item Number 2 – Cereal

518089-01

Photo Taken From Google Images – www.luluwebstore.com

Design

The design of this product is most definitely aimed at children, the cartoon monkey tells us this. As well as this the product also has a chain of media adverts which are cartoon stories which appeal to children. The yellow colour of the box will also make the product eye catching and therefore lure potential consumers in.

Colour

The colour scheme that has been used on the box of this product allows the product to stand out. The bright yellow packaging is eye catching and can also have reference to the sun, which in this case can refer to the product being eaten on sunny mornings and as yellow is an energetic colour, allows the consumer to think it can give  them happiness and energy as they start their day.

Letters

The lettering on the box is made to look like chocolate which is a main selling point of the cereal. The lettering is also printed in a large font and is centred on the packaging, on the plain yellow background to allow the consumer to easily and clearly see what the product is.

Message Given

I feel like the message given by the packaging of the Coco Pops cereal is that it is child friendly, chocolate loving children will love it. However, although it is chocolatey the box is also clear to state that the child, or consumer, will still gain essential vitamins and iron from the product because of this, this product will also appeal to adults/parents as it can allow them to have stress free breakfast times as they know their child will enjoy while getting their essential nutrients at the same time.

My Preference

The product which I prefer is product number 2 as i feel like it has a very clear motive and has a clear appeal to children. However also with this product we can see the way in which the advertising attempts to draw in adults by promoting the healthy side of the product. This is the product which I took my inspiration from in order to create my own product.

My Product and Explanation

ct1qqdsxyaaw6zp1This is the product that I created. I took the inspiration from the Coco Pops children’s cereal. I began to give the product a character, whom in this case is Bird Bandit. I used alliteration as for me that is what would stick in my mind.Giving the bird character carrots for a beak also promotes the main aspect of the cereal which is carrots. Towards the bottom corner of my product i have written that the product contains “100% real carrots” in an attempt to make the product appeal to the parents of children so they know the product is healthy. Again I used the bright yellow backdrop in order to try to make the product more eye catching.

Developing Effectiveness in Learning and Teaching – TDT Ocearch!

Me and fellow student Kirsty Gallacher decided to focus on one resource from Derek Robertson’s input – that resource being ocearch.org .

This is a shark tracker which shows the real time location of sharks movements. All the sharks have been tagged on their dorsal fin and have been given names by the organisation. You can find out the length, weight and type of shark as well as its recent locations. Above this you can focus on certain geographic locations, such as countries or even continents and track the sharks who live in their surrounding waters.

img_0222

An example of Oscar the sharks recent movements off the coast of New York.

Here is a link to Oscars profile – http://www.ocearch.org/profile/oscar/

We think that this is a great ICT resource for ensuring the enrichment of learning across subject boundaries. Not only does it tap into science, for example, a topic on sharks in itself, but it also looks at geography. This resource can also link to maths and literacy.

By looking at the weight, size and types of sharks that exist in specific area, the children could look into why certain types of sharks inhabit specific areas of the world. For example, hot and cold climates.

This resource can also help children practice their map skills, and help them become familiar with continents, countries and oceans.

img_0223

We can also launch an investigation into why these sharks travel so far and so erratically, possibly discussing what they eat, how they mate and how fast they travel. By looking at distance, speed and time, this could be incorporated into their maths. Looking at their diet and how they mate is again tapping into science as they explore further into the sharks habitat.

This could be done in groups or as independent study depending on age and ability of children. This could then turn into a literacy project where they can either write up their findings in the form of a power point, a booklet, a poster or a report.

This is a brief look into how this resource can be incorporated into interdisciplinary learning. We plan on looking into this further while researching for our assignment.

By Kirsty and Samantha

Tell a Dance Story (Dance 1-2H)

This task requires me to choose a nursery rhyme for which I will then devise a simple choreography to tell the story without using any words.

On first thought I felt that this task would be simple however, when looking into nursery rhymes in detail, in order to see the story, the task turned out to be a little bit more difficult.

My Chosen Nursery Rhyme

The nursery rhyme I have chosen is that of Jack and Jill.

My Simple Choreography to Tell the Story!

• Hold hands in a crouched position in a line
  • Stand up slowly and sway from side to side
  • Release hands
  • Use right hand and circle it slowly backwards until it is outstretched in front of you
  • Lift left hand so it sits slightly under and to the left of the right hand
  • Turn right hand back and forth (from the 9 to the 3 of a clock face)
  • Lower the left hand as if it was heavy
  • Every 2nd person in the line drop the the ground to a sitting position (Jack)
  • Every 1st person  turn to the right hand side to look at person 2 sitting on the floor (Jill)
  • Every second person will lift their hands to the top of their head pointing vertically upward and pull them apart and slightly downwards
  • Every 1st person will do a rolling motion with their hands while lowering them selfs to floor to sit  in the line alongside their shoulder partners.

Repeat as many times as necessary…

Create A Drama Bag (Drama 1H)

As part of my Expressive Arts project I am going to create a Drama bag in which i will choose a variety of objects to represent particular characters. This bag can be used as a stimuli for role-play or improvisation.

ctden1wxgaaqbth

Object – Glasses

Character– Old Lady/Grandmother

ctzc72cwiaawoa3

Object – Tiara

Character – Princess/Fairy/Queen

ctzc72axeaehfrrObject-Guitar Pick

Character– Rockstar

ctbujx4wyam49-tObject-Pen

Character– Business man

Object– Keyctbujx8wiaaxqcn

Character– Janitor/Grounds Keeper/ Security Guard

ctzc72gwcai1rhfObject– Thread

Character– Seamstress/Maid

ctzdqtiwiaaqjvg

Object– Plaster

Character– Nurse/Doctor

ctbujx4w8aaqa-gObject-Pound Coin

Character– Rich Man/Woman

ctbujx7waaeu376Object– Lip Stick

Character– Posh Lady/ Make-up Artist/ Diva

ctzc72hweaah_nrObject- Teddy Bear

Character- Small Child

Learning About Colour and Pattern! (Art 3H)

Picture taken from Google Images – www.stationeryinfo.com

For this TDT we have been asked to research into colours and aspects of them before going in to personal research around our own favourite colours. After completing this i will then make my own colour wheel, which I will photograph and post at the end of this post.

First, I aim to define some artistic terms to be able to understand and reinforce my learning.

Primary Colours- There are 3 Primary Colours, which are Red Yellow and Blue. These are the main element of all other colours and no other colours can be mixed together to make these colours (Williams,2008).

Secondary Colours- The secondary colours are purple, green and orange. These new colours are made by mixing any two of the primary colours together (Williams,2008).

For example:

Red + Blue = Purple

Blue +Yellow = Green

Yellow+ Red= Orange

Hue- Are the 12 most bright and pure colours, the 3 primary colours, the 3 secondary colours and the 6 tertiary colours. All of these  12 colours together form the Colour Wheel (Williams, 2008). Hues can also be measured in degrees of where they are on the colour wheel, from 0 – 359 degrees (Workwithcolour,2008).

Brightness- Brightness is something which a person will determine themselves. It is often confused by the lightness of the colour. Brightness can be change by using the saturation tool as a higher saturation will make the colour brighter. The hue will also affect the colours brightness (Workwithcolour,2008).

Temperature- Temperature is expressed through the description of the lighting on a colour. This can be using either Blue (cool) or Yellow (warm) it is measured in degrees of Kelvin (Lowel,no date).

Expressive Qualities- Expressive qualities  in colour express the mood and emotion behind the piece. It can also be used to express atmosphere such as tensions surrounding the piece etc (Color, no date).

Colour Theory- Colour theory is the heading which all of these definitions come under. Colour theory is the breakdown of colour under 3 sections; colour wheel, colour harmony and the context in which colour is used (Voodoo Publications, no date).

Scientific Properties of Colour and Light – Light is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, which is the only part of the spectrum that is visible to the human eye. The different wavelengths of light all radiate different colours, for example the shorter wavelengths give off a blue colour,where as the slightly longer wavelengths show a yellow/green colour (IES, 2011). ‘Rainbow light’ as such, can be shown through a science experiment when a ray of light is directed to shine through a glass pyramid this will split the ray of light into the coloured spectrum as shown below. This would be good to look into in the primary classroom.eejrr

Picture Taken from Google Images – mangahelpers.com

My Favourite Colour

cvetovaya-palitra-1434

Picture taken from Google Images – colorpalettes.net

Since I was a young girl my favourite colour has always been pink. I have chosen this TDT specifically as I am quite interested in finding out more about it.

As the colour pink comes in many different shades and tones they all reflect different emotions and feelings. For example the darker shades of pink, express feelings of romance and passion however the less strong shades of pink, like baby pinks, are more childish and show fun and excitement (Smith, 2015). Smith (2015) also tells us that pink has connotations of happiness and times of being carefree and childish.

The colour pink can also have a physical affect on us by promoting energy and confidence. As well as this pink is also known to be used in prison cells to calm erratic behaviour (Smith,2015).

The colour pink is also known world wide on a ribbon, which signifies hope in the hunt to find a cure for breast cancer.

My Colour Wheel

ctcmwn1waaaajs5

Color (no date) Elements in art – color. Available at: http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/dl/free/0072965258/340806/color.html (Accessed: 23 September 2016).
IES (2011) Discover lighting! The science of light > color. Available at: http://www.ies.org/lighting/science/color.cfm (Accessed: 23 September 2016).
Lowel (no date) Lighting Resource Centre. Available at: http://lowel.tiffen.com/edu/color_temperature_and_rendering_demystified.html (Accessed: 22 September 2016).
Smith, K. (2015) All about the color PINK meaning, psychology, symbolism. Available at: http://www.sensationalcolor.com/color-meaning/color-meaning-symbolism-psychology/all-about-the-color-pink-4342#.V-U7H5MrJPM (Accessed: 23 September 2016).
Voodoo Publications, C. (no date) Basic color theory. Available at: http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/basic-color-theory (Accessed: 23 September 2016).
Williams, S. (2008) Primary colors « color wheel artists. Available at: http://color-wheel-artist.com/primary-colors.html (Accessed: 22 September 2016).
Workwithcolour (2008) Color properties: Hue, tint, shade, saturation, brightness, Chroma. Available at: http://www.workwithcolor.com/color-properties-definitions-0101.htm (Accessed: 22 September 2016).

Invent a Game! (Drama 1H)

Catching Fish!

As part of the Expressive Arts module we have to do a 30 hour project. As part of the drama section I have decided to invent a game. This game will be called Catching Fish!

How to Play

• Players stand in a circle facing outwards with their eyes open
  • One player is chosen to be the fish this player will stand outside of the circle and one player is chosen to be the fisherman. The fisherman will stand in the centre of the circle with his eyes closed.
  • The fish will now have to weave their way around the circle.
  • When the tambourine sounds the fish will have to rejoin the circle.
  • The fisherman will now have the opportunity to ask for 3 clues about the fish.
  • In which case the fish will only be able to  answer yes or no, in a voice of their choice,along with an action which he will show to the rest of the group.
  • The whole group will copy this action for the fisherman to witness before he/she makes a guess on who the fish is.
  • This will be repeated 3 times.
  • If the fisherman does not guess correctly the fish will reveal themselves and then become the fisherman.
  • If the fisherman guesses correctly the fish will then be caught and will sit inside the circle next to the fisherman and the fisherman will try and catch a new fish.

Aim of the Game

To catch as many fish as the fisherman can.

Variations and Extensions

This game can be adapted to fit the class topic at the time. For example, if the topic was “The Rainforest”, it can be adapted to fit the rainforest foodchain…eg. the monkeys running around the circle hiding from the tigers.

How Many Players

30 (a class of pupils)

Age Group

Middle to upper school

How long does it take to play

The game could go on until all fish have been caught. However, I think this is unrealistic as it would get boring and children would become uninterested.

Ideally I would give the game 10-15 minutes.

What skills does it develop

Spacial awareness- Children will have to be aware of the space around them as they weave around the circle.

Confidence- As children will have to participate as either the fish or the fisherman, this will allow them to develop their confidence as standing/acting alone infront of others. As well as this, children will develop their confidence as part of the group when they all do the action together.

Memory- The fisherman will develop their memory skills as they will have to memorise the clues the fish gives them in order to determine who the fish is to catch them.

Ephemeral Art!

Who knew something so simple as making pictures out of leaves, twigs and other natural resources can make you think so much?!?

In our most recent expressive arts module we learned about the artist Andy Goldsworthy and his passion for art in nature otherwise known as Ephemeral art. Goldsworthy’s work was always transient so would not last very long, this is because he uses only natural resources. This, however, meant that his work could only be documented through his use of photographs.imgres-1Picture Taken From Google Images – prezi.com

Goldsworthy had an obsession with shape, line, texture, form and colour and would express this through his work.

Trying to decide the meaning for some of his pieces turned out to be the most difficult part…

b49f9a7e8ac70ef35a1bfbe240a4e9d8

This piece of Goldsworthy’s was one which we took forward as a group to try to recreate. This piece really captures just how impermanent his work really was.

This piece was created by Goldsworthy, himself, laying on the dry surface in the rain only to move himself when the rain had passed to leave his silhouette printed on the surface.

When  trying to decipher the meaning of this piece, we struggled but  came to the conclusion that it represents the short nature of life itself.

Picture Taken from Google Images – www.pinterest.com

Our Turn!

In this tutorial, we formed a group of 3 and tried out some of our own ephemeral art pieces. First we stared by gathering leaves and grouping leaves together by colour. Then we tried finding some sticks to use before deciding on what our project would be.

Next we had a discussion about what we could try and make. Me, I am nothing close to being an artist and you would struggle to find an artistic bone in my body. However, this task was easier (and more enjoyable) than first thought.

We then decided on our first project… the human outline made entirely from leaves… which wasn’t entirely our idea (although we’d love to take credit) but a take on one of Goldsworthy’s pieces pictured previously. We had Kirsty lie on the ground while the two of us laid leaves all around her.

The meaning of this was, like our interpretation of Goldsworthy’s piece, was to show that life does not last long.The fact that the wind could blow away at anytime represents this.

As well as this, we also were careful to use colours which fade downwards. This was to show the developments we make in our lives and the changes and choices we have to make and go through every single day. The way in which we grow as people are also represented in the leaves.

Finally our last original piece we created was a large tree.img_9810

This piece was one we made to reflect the changing of the seasons we felt like the colour of leaves were correct to show the time of year. As well as this we also thought this represents the passing of time, through the seasons and our time through this university course also.

This task would be simple and effective to recreate in a class of pupils. I also feel like the children would benefit from this artistic activity with being given extra time outside to explore their own surroundings… putting safety first of course!

Different Understanding of Childhood?

The first lecture of the year really got me thinking about the differences between childhood 20 years ago to childhood in the present day. On first thought childhood for most people carries the reminder of being carefree, having no stress and being able to play outside after school until the street lights turn on. However is this still the case today?

Today, society is the safest it has been in 39 years but it seems apparent that in the present day more and more parents will hesitate to let children play outdoors, on the streets around them (BBC, 2013). The shocking results of a survey taken in March of this year have reported that prisoners in the UK spend more time outdoors than three quarters of the child population (Carrington, 2016). The question is why is this? Why is this the shocking reality of todays society especially if the crime rate is at a 39 year low? Is it the media? Technology?

Media

EU-Media-Futures-Forum-pic_0

Picture taken from Google Images-www.cision.com

The media have a huge impact on the world around us and can have a massive impact on the way people see the world around us. Dowler (2003) goes as far as stating that most of our knowledge on the subject of crime is derived from what we see on the tv, read in newspapers or see online. When I think about just how many times a day we see news headlines flashed around on our televisions, phone screens, billboards and in the papers, it is obvious just how much of an effect this can have on us, without us necessarily knowing it.  Seeing these negative, crime-filled headlines so many times on a daily basis can reduce the persons ability to feel safe in their surroundings. Dowler (2003) exemplifies the strong links in which the average persons daily media viewing’s  can effect their sense of safety.

Personally, I agree with Dowler, although statistically speaking the UK has the lowest crime rate  it has ever had in 39 years, the negative media coverage will not reinforce the idea of a safe environment for children to play. This, therefore, may go hand in hand with Carrington (2016) as although the facts state that safety is on the rise in society today, the negative media coverage will not back this up giving parents reason to keep their children indoors.

Technology

As well as the changes in media coverage, the technology has improved significantly since the days when I grew up also. Twenty years ago when I began my childhood mobile phones were almost unheard of…now pupils of all ages are walking around with the latest Iphone?!

motorola_d470_1

Picture taken from Google Images – phonebandit.com

I still remember my first phone (pictured above), which I was given in Primary 7 for emergency use only. This phone  had been passed through the family from grandparents, to my mother, then my eldest sister before making its way to me. Nowadays it seems a lot more common for children in the younger school years to have, or have access too, the latest mobile technology. The American survey found that over half of children will be given a mobile phone at the age of 6 years old (KTRK,2015). Khan (2015) has explored the advantages to this, one being a safety factor and the other being convenience. However downsides are also outlined, for example, dangers and disruption (Khan, 2013). Advantages to phone technology are phenomenal and extremely helpful to us if used correctly. However, in my opinion at the age of 6 a child does not necessarily need to be this connected in the technical world. Parents will always have ways to contact their child if needs be, especially when the child is in a school setting. Therefore, the child as young as 6 does not need the latest mobile technology.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand…

Is the advance in technology the reason why children do not explore the outdoors like we used to?

I feel technology definitely plays a great part in the reason why children are not outside as much anymore. The advances in technology with televisions, computers, gaming software and, again, mobile phones should be used in a balance along with casual play. Technology has been blamed for the decrease in outdoor play many times but people fail to understand the importance of a balance between them (Rethinking Childhood, 2013). Although there are many things which children can fixate on Television is one which is most apparent. Television can be an educational resource when used correctly however too much television at a young age has also been shown to contribute to hyperactivity and attention difficulties in those children (Rethinking Childhood, 2013).

I suppose there is not an exact answer to determine what keeps children indoors more so present day than 20 years ago but more just contributing factors. Times have changed but maybe a step back from technology would do present day children some good.

BBC (2013) Recorded crime at 39-year-low in Scotland. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22934941 (Accessed: 13 September 2016).
Carrington, D. (2016) Three-quarters of UK children spend less time outdoors than prison inmates – survey. Available at: https://www. necessarily.com/environment/2016/mar/25/three-quarters-of-uk-children-spend-less-time-outdoors-than-prison-inmates-survey (Accessed: 13 September 2016).
Dowler, K. (2003) Media consumption and public attitudes toward crime and justice- JCJPC, volume 10, issue 2. Available at: http://www.albany.edu/scj/jcjpc/vol10is2/dowler.html (Accessed: 13 September 2016).
Khan, F. (2015) Pros & cons of children having mobile phones. Available at: http://www.livestrong.com/article/69462-pros-cons-children-having/ (Accessed: 14 September 2016)
KTRK (2015) Study: 53% of kids get a cell phone at age 6. Available at: http://abc7chicago.com/technology/study-53%-of-kids-get-a-cell-phone-at-age-6/637197/ (Accessed: 14 September 2016).
Rethinking Childhood (2013) Is technology the enemy of an outdoor childhood? Available at: https://rethinkingchildhood.com/2013/10/23/technology-outdoor-childhood/ (Accessed: 14 September 2016).

Mathematical Terminology Used More Often Than We Think?

My first Maths and Science input of semester 2 with Tara made me challenge my way of thinking or as I thought the normal way of thinking.

When talking in social situations or even just reading  simple stories it is apparent that mathematical terminology is at the forefront of them.  In this lecture, Tara read us a story and asked us to think of the words she said and to write down the mathematical terms in a list on our page. Originally I only counted 10-15 words of this type but after it was explained I had the realisation that mathematical terminology is not only words associated with number, but size, positioning etc. Realising this made me feel the need to look closer at other children’s stories and rhymes.

I decided to look at This nursery rhyme in particular because numbers are prominent here and frankly to begin with I didnt think there would be many more terms other than the numbers 1-10.

I was wrong…

In this early childhood song not only do children use mathematical terminology with the numbers 1-10. There is also terminology used to describe positioning and size. I will use bold on the font to highlight the mathematical terminology.

ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE!

One, two, three, four, five,

Once I caught a fish alive,

Six, seven, eight, nine, ten,

Then I let it go again.

Why did you let it go?

Because it bit my finger so.

Which finger did it bite?

This little finger on the right.