Welcome! – Week 1

Hi! My name is Sophie and I am currently a first year student at the University of the West of Scotland. Today I started a new module called Digital Technologies which will span over the next twelve weeks. Throughout this module we will look at a variety of different technologies and how they can be used in a classroom setting. We will also evaluate each technology and discuss its strengths and weaknesses.

Throughout my life I have grown up in a world where digital technologies were rapidly developing, meaning they have always been there. This is why I would class myself as a “Digital Native”. Digital Natives are the generation of children that grow up with this technology around them and can use these different technologies from a young age (Prensky, 2001). During my time in high school I sat Admin at National 5 and Higher, meaning I have a firm basis on how to use many packages and navigating my way around a computer. However, when filling in a self-evaluation form based on the technologies we will be using, I came to realise I did not know a lot about a few of them or how to use them. This displayed to me the vast array of technology there are today. I am excited to see how this module will help broaden my knowledge of digital technologies and see how I can use them effectively in a classroom setting.

The children that are now in our schools can all be classed as Digital Natives, meaning the curriculum has to suit and best support our learners. Education Scotland want to place digital technologies at the heart of learning in the classroom, displaying how important and valuable digital technologies are becoming in today’s society. Education Scotland have defined digital technologies as those digital applications, services and resources which are used to:

• find
  • analyse
  • create
  • communicateand
  • use informationin a digital context. (Education Scotland, 2016)

The Scottish Government have created a policy called The National Digital Learning and Teaching Strategy (2016) to ensure children are getting the best support from educators with digital technologies, once again displaying how important digital technologies are becoming in our education systems. The main aims of the policy are:

• Develop the skills of our educators.
  • Improve access.
  • Enhance curriculum & assessment delivery.
  • Empower leaders of change. (Education Scotland, 2016)

This once again shows that Scottish Education believe that digital technologies are becoming a main area of education in today’s society whilst future-proofing the curriculum for the ever-expanding digital technology world.

Over the next twelve weeks I am going to use this blog to critically reflect on each technology we investigate and my own personal development. This will allow me to pin-point strengths and weakness allowing me to work on and improve these areas. I am looking forward to seeing my personal journey throughout this module and how I will be able to see my skills develop.

Sophie

References:

Prensky, M. (2001)Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants[Online] Available: https://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf[Accessed 13thJanuary 2019]

Scottish Government. (2016) Enhancing Learning And Teaching Through The Use of Digital Technology: A Digital Learning And Teaching Strategy For Scotland.Edinburgh: Scottish Government