Educational Elixar

Iddir's Ideas and thoughts on all things Educational !

50 word Fiction @Scottish Book Trust

I love playing around with words and this seemed like a perfect opportunity to do so . I have never submitted an entry before although I love making up stories with my children. We go on all sorts of adventures with Sammy seal, who has no teeth !

My love of stories and books stems from my own childhood and is reflected in my own children’s love of text .My father would always either read or make up stories at bedtime. Of course he has continued the tradition with my children and I of course have stepped up to the plate too.

As I sat down to write this very SHORT story I realised that it was not quite as easy as I thought it would be!

To create a story in 50 words is quite difficult… This led me to think about the ways I could use this in the classroom and realised that this would need be a series of lessons before we could do this.  Not such an easy task after all and for a mere 50 words.

Reflecting on this made me think that perhaps we take the written word for granted and perhaps we do not appreciate the complexities of storytelling when we have to write it down!

Here is my final submission ! Enjoy !

The wind howled. What was I thinking? I looked back towards Sail Mohr. Too late now.
Five eager children, framed by their parents, waved frantically at their new teacher.
I slowly raised my hand, smiled and waved back just as we docked.
Definitely more adventure than work.
Hello there Scoraig.