Week 12 – Creative Dance and Music

Today we performed our final dance as a class. This really showed me how empowering and important performance is. It also showed how a dance can truly reflect the personality and the ideas of the dancer (Cone, 2009). I really enjoyed this session and know for a fact I could not have got up to perform a dance 12 weeks ago.

I did not attend the music workshop today as our music lecturer was ill and I did not feel I would be able to access the learning due to my musical inhibitions.

Overall I feel this module has been truly inspiring and I have taken a great deal from it – from my own personal confidence boost – to ideas that I can utilise and reflect upon in my own practice as an educator and ideas and concepts I can bring into my own classroom to improve the confidence of learners in my class. I can also realise how the arts can link together to provide a fuller and more effective education and experience for young people in the arts to model creativity in practice and to boost ambiguity in Scotland’s future artists. I have taken away lesson plans and my own ideas for practice and feel far more able to deliver an integrated arts curriculum to all in my responsibility.

I look forward to seeing where these experiences I have gained will take me in my future and in my career.

Reference List

Cone, T. (2009) Following Their Lead: Supporting Children’s Ideas for Creating Dances. Journal of Dance Education. Vol.9(3), pp. 81-89.