Week 10 – Visual Arts and Music

In music, we explored pulse and rhythm by first using drumsticks to keep a pulse. Then we looked at notation on the board and began to keep rhythm by playing easy songs and the difficulty gradually increased. We then quickly progressed to using tuned percussion instruments to play along with music on the board using conventional notation – for me, this was the most difficult part of today and I much preferred the drumming – which I definitely intend to use in my own class.

Today in visual arts we spoke about our own experiences of art in the classroom whilst we have been out on placement. I haven’t experienced any evidence of this myself, but it was great to hear so many stories from my peers with ideas for how I can use art in my classroom myself.

The one thing I have taken from today is that lack of resources does not have to be a barrier to teaching the arts and actually, there are many creative solutions to teaching the arts using minimalistic resources such as the drumming where only drumsticks were needed. It is my opinion that a creative response to the teaching can ignite a creative thinking in the learners during the lesson.