SATE Blog

Katie Lane’s 2016 NAT5 RUAE Teachers’ Notes!

wpf4a0a68b_05_06

SATE – Teacher’s Guide

National 5 RUAE Paper 2016

“Can Idina Menzel ever Let It Go?”

Topic:                    The singer Idina Menzel and her life after voicing Elsa from Frozen.

Summary:           Lines 1-3 – Identifying Menzel as the singer of American anthem for Superbowl.

Lines 1-3 – Identifying Menzel as the singer of American anthem for Superbowl

Lines 4-10 – Further identification of Menzel and her career

Lines 11-21 – Menzel discusses Frozen and the possibility of a sequel

Lines 22-25 – “Frozen Fever” and its impact

Lines 26-30 – Criticism about Menzel’s singing

Lines 31-41 – Back to the Superbowl, the contrast between Menzel and American Footballers is used to look at Frozen as a feminist film

Lines 42-47 – The realistic nature of Elsa as a female character

Lines 48-54 – Menzel’s relationship with her sister

Lines 55-61 – The Oscars and how it was good for her caree

Lines 61-66 – Menzel’s opinion of her career

Lines 67-72 – Menzel discusses if she has an “Elsa Dress” (she doesn’t)

Challenging Words (these could be used to teach identifying meaning in context)

Line numbers are in brackets

+ ubiquitous (5)                                                +Stratospheric (7)                                            + elevated (8)

+ mooted (11)                                   +behemoth (25)                         + proximity (31)                    +zeitgeist (62)

Types of Questions:

• In your own words (explanation) (Q1, Q3, Q7)
  • Features/Use of Language (two general, one question which mentions sentence structure, tone or word choice specifically and one that is word choice alone)  (Q2, Q4, Q6, Q8)
  • Link (Q5)
  • Contrast created through Sentence Structure, tone or word choice (Q8)
  • Inference – individual’s personality or character. (Q9)

Further teaching points

• The inference question (Q.9) could be broken down and taught by teachers giving out the following sentences and pupils identifying what they learn about Menzel
  1. “Apparently I spoke out of turn” (12)
  2. “It’s pretty much a group number though.” She sounds slightly disappointed (20-21)
  3. “They’re huge, standing there, and you’re this one woman, singing on her own” (34-35)
  4. She and her younger sister, Cara, had their fair share of “Do you want to build a snowman?” moments. (48-49)
  5. She nevertheless recognises that Travolta’s slip was “one of the greatest mistakes ever – it helped my career, that’s for sure.” (58-59)
  6. Her conversation is a mix of Broadway-speak (“I try to sing from the heart”) and battle-hardened ambition. (60-61)
  7. “People who are trying to find themselves. I’m proud of that. I’m not sure why that’s become the pattern for me – maybe because I have so much to learn myself” (64-66)
  8. Part of me suspects that she’d quite enjoy ruling over her own wintery kingdom. (71-72)
  • The link question (Q.5) could be reinforced by looking at the additional links used in the passage
  1. How about that Frozen stage show, also much mooted?” (15)
  2. The unnerving proximity of several dozen hulking American footballers may have had something to do with that. (31-32)
  3. Yes, the two heroines are still doe-eyed and partial to shiny dresses, but their relationship is subtle. (41-42)
  4. She nevertheless recognises that Travolta’s slip was “one of the greatest mistakes ever – it helped my career, that’s for sure.” (58-59)
  • The contrast question (Q.9) could be reinforced by looking at lines 31-41 where the contrast between the American Footballers and Menzel is highlighted.

Katie Lane is Acting Principal Teacher of English at St Margaret’s High School in Airdrie, and is SATE Local Coordinator for North Lanarkshire.