Sarah Ferguson UWS ePDP

Learning Log: Climate Change

Theme: Climate Change

Key learning:

This input really opened up my eyes to the dangers of climate change. It is becoming increasingly more important that we do our best to prevent it before the damage becomes irreversible. I was somewhat aware of the effects of global warming such as the icecaps melting, but watching the video of the build up of CO2 was a huge shock.

Deforestation plays an immense part in the build up of CO2. Trees take in the CO2 in the atmosphere and produce oxygen, what we breathe in. With the deforestation happening at such a rapid pace, there are less trees to take in the increasing levels of CO2.

Climate change is something that we are briefly told about, and then every so often reminded of, but it isn’t reiterated often enough for people to take more than a fleeting interest in. More should be done in the media to show the effects of climate change, what can be done to prevent it and to help people really understand that they world they live in is in danger and that it does affect them.

I never realised that the more developed countries tried to get the less developed countries to cut their emissions so that they did not have to. I thought this was awful, as it was be even more challenging for these countries to develop while trying to cut back on emissions and this in turn furthers the imbalance between developed and less developed countries.

I think that it is vital that we teach children about climate change, especially as it is the future generations that are in more danger from it. It is important that it is taught in a way that is informative and highlights the importance of making changing to our lifestyles, but not so that it scares the children.