A memorable learning experience.

I always enjoyed learning that was interesting and included learning new facts and information. In P6 we studied the topic of the amazon rainforest and to this day my own rainforest I created lies upstairs in my loft at home and I often like to look at the work my mum kept for me on this topic.

Although I don’t seem to remember much from primary school, this topic always sticks out to me as one that was made fun and interactive. By learning about areas within the rainforest relating to geography, how much rainfall there is related to science and expressive arts in how we created our own rainforest design. I feel this topic was beneficial in relating to several areas of the curriculum. Although I don’t have any memories of it linking to English or maths as such, calculating the rainfall used basic maths skills without many of the class realising.

My favourite part was definitely expressive arts when we created our own rainforests using a polystyrene base. This design allowed us to be creative and hands on within our learning (it also helped that my mum was a florist so she had many different artificial leaves/flowers I could use in my project). It made me feel ownership of my own work and learning as the class was given a challenge to complete over a few weeks to create their own. This also allowed us to use the information we had been learning to retain the knowledge and show this in our projects.

My teacher in P6 put lots of effort into hands on learning and making it as fun as possible. I remember having very little worksheets to complete in this class. Another memorable experience  was creating our own board games. We were put into groups of 4 or 5 and had to design how the board game worked, looked, how much it would cost, and finally design it. This linked well within STEM subjects as it covered all aspects in relation to creating the final product that could be sold in marketing.

So basically, P6 was definitely my favourite year at primary school which was influenced hugely by the hard work of my teacher in creating the best learning experience possible 🙂